Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my MacBook Air making a loud fan noise??

Why is my MacBook Air suddenly making a loud fan noise and overheating even after I force quite all apps and restart my computer? This did not happen until I recently updated it with the OS X 10 10.4 Yosemite update.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 5:33 PM

6 replies

Jul 16, 2015 5:34 PM in response to lfontes01

A Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help after an OS X update or upgrade.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

Jul 16, 2015 5:38 PM in response to lfontes01

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Pre-Mavericks

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the %CPU column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of %CPU, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Why is my MacBook Air making a loud fan noise??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.