Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Crashes Entire PC When Accessing iTunes Store

Hey everyone,

So iTunes on PC has really never been the most polished piece of software out there. However I've been running into a problem when it comes to accessing the iTunes Store over iTunes on PC. When I launch iTunes, it runs fine without any issues, however if I press the "iTunes Store" button, it attempts to launch the store, maybe loads a few images then crashes my entire computer every time - forcing me to turn it off via the power button and turn it back on. I have a Dell XPS 14, Windows 8.1, latest version of iTunes installed. I recall having this problem for a while and mostly ignored it, choosing to buy songs on my phone instead.

I thought it was just some sort of random issue with specifically my PC and iTunes but recently my mother got a new PC - an Acer laptop with Windows 8.1, iTunes was one of the first things installed and to my surprise, that computer completely freezes when I launch iTunes Store as well!

So I'm wondering since this seems like it's not just my PC with this issue, is there a way to fix this? I've read past fixes about moving a (now nonexistant) file from one Apple program folder to another, along with adding a string of code to the end of a path, none of which worked on my PC.

What's the current fix for this ridiculous bug that Apple still hasn't fixed? Is anyone else having this problem?

Dell XPS 14-OTHER, Windows 8, null

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 7:45 PM

3 replies

Jul 18, 2015 6:22 AM in response to BlindMango

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Jul 31, 2015 1:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Upgraded to Windows 10 and now it now works perfectly, lol. So hopefully Apple doesn't mess iTunes up again in a future update!

@turingtest2 - Thanks for the information but I was actually completely expecting this exact response (the generic "sorry you're having issues, look at this trouble shooting page, try removing iTunes and reinstalling, etc..."). I've tried all that and was looking for a bit more of a direct, helpful confirmed fix - was trying to see if anyone else had the issue and targeted a good fix. Either way, upgrading to Windows 10 did the fix for me somehow, so that is definitely a good thing!

iTunes Crashes Entire PC When Accessing iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.