Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install software upgrades

I've let it go for too long. Now my Safari web browser is in need of updating; as well as a few other software items that came with my Mac Cube computer.

The problem is that my computer won't let me install any new upgrades without giving me the dreaded "Error-61" dogma. Many of the of the web pages I use for business are now no longer coming up as they once did. Much of this is due to my outdated web browser software..

Information I've discovered through informal research on how to fix this "Error-61" problem have been repeated over and over again by well meaning individuals who will just repeat verbatim what I've already learned about this Error message. What they haven't been able to tell me thus far is how to actually fix it so that I can install the needed upgrades to my antiquated web browser software.

My Mac is version 10.5.8 and my Safari web browser is version 5.0.6 (5533.22.3) I did download a slightly newer version 7.something, something, something but, like I said, I am unable to install it due to this "Error-61". And, I can't afford to buy another computer.

Can anyone here help me out? Can this "Error-61" thing be manually fixed or do I have to install a specialized fixit software? Which brings up another set of problems. If this "Error-61" thing won't even let me install factory software, it stands to reason that it won't let me install the FIXIT-Software either.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 9:59 AM

1 reply

Jul 17, 2015 10:02 AM in response to desperationmode

You need to upgrade the computer's OS to get a newer Safari. Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu and check the processor.

If it's a PowerPC Mac, it's already running the newest OS it can.

If it's a Core Duo Mac, click here, install the DVD, and run Software Update.

If it's a Core 2 Duo or better Mac, upgrade it as if it was a Core Duo Mac, and once done, if desired, open the Mac App Store and try downloading Yosemite. If you get told it's incompatible, go to the online Apple Store and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004. If you upgrade the OS, back up the computer first.

(130345)

Can't install software upgrades

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.