Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

att uverse motorola nvg599 with time capsule

I switched to AT&T U-Verse today from Charter. With Charter they provided only the modem and therefore I was using a Time Capsule for the wireless capabilities while also for time machine back up. AT&T uses their own modem and wifi router, a model Motorola NGV599. I was wondering if there was a way to continue to use my time capsule for my wifi network and back up. I am not looking to disable the AT&T router so to speak as I am concerned about secondary TV's that are wirelessly connected to this network and I am not sure how they are set up to the network. I basically want to continue to use the time capsule as my personal network for iPads, gaming systems, blu-ray players, iPhones, ect. so I don't have to reset the password to all the devices for the AT&T router and to keep backing up my Mac.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 11:19 AM

6 replies

Jul 17, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Laith Hairell

I was wondering if there was a way to continue to use my time capsule for my wifi network and back up

Sure, things will work just like they did before you changed "modems"

So, you will have two different wireless networks there.....one provided by the Motorola modem/router and the other provided by the Time Capsule. Connect to the network that you want to use.

The downside......because you have changed providers and "modems", the Time Capsule must be reset back to factory default settings and then set up again. The upside.....you can use the same Time Capsule name, wireless network name, passwords, etc that you used before.

Nov 15, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Dunkin888

Please start a new thread and provide more details about your Time Capsule and operating system on your computer.

So, things were working fine before ATT replaced their router, and now things don't work. Other than saying "Call Apple", what did ATT suggest to you?

What model of Time Capsule do you have?

What operating system is installed on your Mac or PC?

Does your computer have an Ethernet port on the device?

Do you have a spare Ethernet cable.....any length will do.....that can be used to connect your computer to the Time Capsule?

Nov 15, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

1. Att standard tech service could not help with 3rd party equipment and referred customer to a pay by call advanced tech service.

2. It is a 2014 model 4T airport time capsule. Working flawlessly until the massive Att server and modem outage and crash last week

3. OS El Capitan latest version

4. I can see time capsule on wifi on my MBP. Showed no internet signal. Wifi worked fine, only no internet connection while using TC.

Thank Bob.

Nov 24, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Dunkin888

Finally got NVG599 At&t modem & Time Capsule communicating properly. Green lights. These steps may help all users.

- Use the yellow ethernet port on NVG599 to connect with the Time Capsule internet signal input port. Do not use the red color NVG599 port. This is critical to get internet signal pass through to the TC. The picture in the NVG599 quick start manual is a bit confusing.

- Set NVG599 to bridge mode (to avoid getting double DNS error on TC with blinking amber light on TC).

- You may want to turn off NCG599 Wi-Fi to use TC as the primary Wi-Fi network

- To save new setup/ changes on NVG599, you must unplug the power cord and reconnect. Do not use the reset Red button as shown on the Att instruction.which will return back to the original factory setting.

- Reset Time Capsule to original factory setting and restart setting up a new Wi-fi TC network. This is a must.

- The Paid contract Att device tech service is very knowledgable in Apple products. It is worth the money. They can assist you through the complete setup professionally. This is a higher tier tech service than the regular Att customer tech service.

- The new NVG599 unit does not come with a battery backup. Suggest you keeping the battery UPS from earlier model as power supply.

Hope this instruction is useful for new NVG599 users and avoid hours of connectivity trials.

Jun 17, 2016 6:56 PM in response to Dunkin888

This was very helpful - saved me a lot of time. One additional thing that was a bit confusing was that the Base Station password needs to match the password used to access the modem (i.e. the one provided by ATT); however, the network password is one you create yourself. When you open Airport Utility make sure you type in both passwords.

FYI - the Airport Extreme signal is significantly better than the Motorola NVG599 signal.

att uverse motorola nvg599 with time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.