Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail and Notes won't launch

Server 4.1.3. OSX10.10.3

Clean install of Server and OSX. Recreated my whole Directory.

Some Local networked users will log in and start Mail. It will work for the first time and then on subsequent launches, the application start and goes directly to "Application is not responding" . No window opens. The same happens with Notes.

I suspect this is related to permissions or a locked file.

Any suggestions?

Mitch

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 10:53 AM

10 replies

Jul 18, 2015 10:33 AM in response to mitchmonkey

Launch the Console application on the client.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jul 27, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Linc Davis

This is what I get from Mail.

It asked me to rebuild the database but no locked as it appears to be locked.

7/27/15 12:30:59.657 PM lsuseractivityd[336]: [SFActivityAdvertiser] ERROR: dispatching cached advertisement request for advertisementPayload <> ((null))

7/27/15 12:31:00.257 PM callservicesd[313]: Failed to get the bundle id

7/27/15 12:31:01.364 PM Spotlight[327]: [com.apple.calendar.store.log] [Couldn't update cached me card from CalendarAgent]

7/27/15 12:31:01.798 PM CalendarAgent[276]: Exception fetching ABCDContact in context <ABManagedObjectContext: 0x7ffe670ba510>: keypath birthdayComponents not found in entity <NSSQLEntity ABCDContact id=21>

7/27/15 12:31:01.798 PM CalendarAgent[276]: Error fetching ABCDContact in context <ABManagedObjectContext: 0x7ffe670ba510>: (null) (null)

7/27/15 12:31:02.016 PM Spotlight[327]: applications query - started

7/27/15 12:31:02.306 PM Spotlight[327]: applications query - finished in 0.29 seconds

7/27/15 12:31:20.649 PM Finder[298]: Layout still needs update after calling -[TListScrollView layout]. TListScrollView or one of its superclasses may have overridden -layout without calling super. Or, something may have dirtied layout in the middle of updating it. Both are programming errors in Cocoa Autolayout. The former is pretty likely to arise if some pre-Cocoa Autolayout class had a method called layout, but it should be fixed.

7/27/15 12:32:19.536 PM Mail[497]: Copy from /Network/Servers/server.mydomain.com/Users/myname/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Enve lope Index to /Network/Servers/server.mydomain.com/Users/myname/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Enve lope Index-2 failed with 5: database is locked

Mitch

Jul 27, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

For Notes, I get

7/27/15 12:37:12.280 PM Notes[527]: CoreData: error: (14) I/O error for database at /Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.ap ple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV4.storedata. SQLite error code:14, 'unable to open database file'

7/27/15 12:37:12.282 PM Notes[527]: CoreData: error: -addPersistentStoreWithType:SQLite configuration:(null) URL:file:///Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Contai ners/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV4.storedata options:{

NSExternalRecordExtensionOption = notesexternalrecord;

NSExternalRecordsDirectoryOption = "/Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.a pple.Notes/Data/Library/CoreData/ExternalRecords";

NSInferMappingModelAutomaticallyOption = 1;

NSMigratePersistentStoresAutomaticallyOption = 1;

} ... returned error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 "The file couldn’t be opened." UserInfo=0x600000261a40 {NSSQLiteErrorDomain=14, NSUnderlyingException=I/O error for database at /Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.ap ple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV4.storedata. SQLite error code:14, 'unable to open database file'} with userInfo dictionary {

NSSQLiteErrorDomain = 14;

NSUnderlyingException = "I/O error for database at /Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.ap ple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV4.storedata. SQLite error code:14, 'unable to open database file'";

}

7/27/15 12:37:12.282 PM Notes[527]: Notes framework failed to load Notes persistent store: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 "The file couldn’t be opened." UserInfo=0x600000261a40 {NSSQLiteErrorDomain=14, NSUnderlyingException=I/O error for database at /Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.ap ple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/NotesV4.storedata. SQLite error code:14, 'unable to open database file'}

7/27/15 12:37:12.286 PM Notes[527]: Attempting to move old store file to /Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Containers/com.ap ple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/Backups/2015-07-27--12:37:12--V4.storedata and create a new empty store file

7/27/15 12:37:12.305 PM Notes[527]: Notes framework failed to set up the persistent store: Error Domain=NSSQLiteErrorDomain Code=14 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSSQLiteErrorDomain error 14.)" UserInfo=0x60800006e640 {NSFilePath=/Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Conta iners/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes/Backups/2015-07-27--12:37:12--V4.stored ata, reason=Failed to open destination database}

7/27/15 12:37:12.433 PM Notes[527]: Error creating log directory: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "The file “Notes” couldn’t be saved in the folder “Logs”." UserInfo=0x6000000753c0 {NSFilePath=/Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Conta iners/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Logs/Notes, NSUnderlyingError=0x600000055c60 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Too many open files"}

7/27/15 12:37:12.448 PM Notes[527]: Error creating diagnostics directory: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "The file “Diagnostics” couldn’t be saved in the folder “Notes”." UserInfo=0x60000006c180 {NSFilePath=/Network/Servers/server.ccccsj.com/Users/mitchshiller/Library/Conta iners/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Logs/Notes/Diagnostics, NSUnderlyingError=0x60000005b090 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Too many open files"}

Again thanks and again it appears the db is locked.

How do I unlock it.

Mitch

Jul 28, 2015 10:07 AM in response to mitchmonkey

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the Notes application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the item you moved. If possible, restore it from a backup that predates the problem.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Aug 2, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Not really. The issue is that a physician may work in one of several offices/ workstations on any given day. So they like to log in and see their email.

The frustrating thing is that this has been working for over 10 years through many iteration of workstation etc. Now it breaks with Server 4.

I will try and file a tech support call with Apple.

Mitch

Mail and Notes won't launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.