Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More questions regarding Harddrives and Storage

Ian and Patrick out there have been very helpful regarding my issues of getting an external setup for my eMac as spec'd below. I want to perform a full back up as well as have storage for video/movies and music. Is this a good deal, anyone? Wondering if anyone has this setup? I know they have a great warranty but do you know if it sleeps when your Mac sleeps? The buffer size is nice too. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=21774 18&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

eMac Mac OS X (10.2.x) eMac G4-1GHz 768Mb RAM SuperDrive 80GBHD

Posted on Oct 30, 2006 5:06 PM

2 replies

Apr 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Heloise Ripley

That looks like a good deal to me. I bought a seagate HD (320 GB) for $110, but I had to spend another $38 for the firewire enclosure. The enclosure is pretty flimsy and cheap feeling. This deal looks really good, since you get the enclosure with it.

Nov 2, 2006 8:34 AM in response to Heloise Ripley

They put that one on sale periodically. I haven't heard anything greatly negative or positive about it.
As far as sleep is concerned, to the best of my knowledge it is only Oxford Firewire chip sets that have that feature built in. Combo chip sets, those that support both USB and FIREWIRE, to the best of my knowledge, do not yet support sleep mode. The only exception of "combo" drives that do are the Lacie line of drives, but I think they do their own firmware and circuits to do that, not that they are using a common chip set you might find elsewhere in other drives.
One thing to note about the Tiger Direct drive is that is DOES have a fan built in, which might be a lot noisier that you want in an external drive, especially if you run it in a bedroom or somewhere like that. If the drive doesn't support sleep, then not only will the drive by on and spinning you will also have the fan running 24/7.
Patrick

More questions regarding Harddrives and Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.