Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to convert multi-paged Word 2010 document to a pdf file always creates a "PDF" from the first page and "PDF1" for all subsequent pages. Help!

I write a club newsletter on my 21" iMac every month, running the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.4). I have the last version MS/Office 2010 installed. Word has always been problematic and buggy since purchasing this iMac in 2012. I deleted and re-installed the software several times with no better luck.

My problem: When I try to convert the .doc to a .pdf file (so PC users can open the document on their computers), Word will create "PDF" for the first page of the document and "PDF1" out of all subsequent pages of the newsletter, usually between 8-12 pages each month.

I tried making a couple pages of a test document and saving it as a pdf file. When I wanted to open the pdf file on my own Mac, it could not convert it to a readable file.

I have had several friends who are professional technical support people, one of whom was a programmer for Microsoft for 25 years, watch me at my own computer. Then they have sat down and tried to do a pdf conversion. The result is the same as I described, regardless of the document but using the Save As feature within MS Word as I did. Page One becomes ".pdf" and the rest of the pages become ".pdf1"

AS a side note, I doubt I will spend another dime on the new MS Office unless I am able to test the software on my 21.5 iMac. Something is not right within this device and even taking it to my nearby Genius Bar no one could figure out why documents do this split on my Mac. Additionally the Word application crashes often during the creation of this monthly newsletter with photos, columns, different spacings. Cutting and pasting can hang it up and then it crashes. Really simple software tasks I've been doing for years on a PC.

Professionally I used Word and EXCEL on a PC for 25 years and I was shocked how awful the Mac version of Word has been. Microsoft should really be ashamed of itself for selling such klugey software--and then displaying even greater chutzpah for telling me that I would have to BUY MS/365 Support to ask any human help for my purchased application. The sad part is that Pages is way underdeveloped for what I need and I have found very little available training where Apple-based OFFICE is taught.

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 1:33 PM

2 replies

Jul 17, 2015 2:48 PM in response to sally4th94550

Unless you are running a VM, you are not using MS/Office 2010

Also, if you are using MS Office 2011 for the Mac, it is essential that it be removed correctly and then reinstalled. Reinstallation of MS Office 2011 can solve lots of issues.

I am using Office 2011 for the Mac and have no problems printing and saving long (50 page+ ) documents as PDF and sharing them with Windows / other Mac users.

Attempting to convert multi-paged Word 2010 document to a pdf file always creates a "PDF" from the first page and "PDF1" for all subsequent pages. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.