Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to see my approved podcast episode #1 but can see my 2nd episode

Hi,

I recently posted a second podcast episode to my website. I noticed when I went to submit the feed to itunes store, it said already submitted. I then noticed that the first episode is not showing in itunes but the second episode is. Wondering if anyone can assist why this is so.

FYI, the first episode accepted url from itunes is:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/snimc-201-what-every-parent/id963917133

and my second episode is:

url is: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/specialneedsinmycity.com/id963917133?mt=2

I would appreciate if someone could suggest how to fix this in wordpress/powerpress plugin.

Thank you.

Mjandhy

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2, Ipad Air 2

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 2:20 PM

The two URLs you give are in fact to the same Store page. When you add an episode you don't have to resubmit the feed - you just add the episode then wait for the Store to catch up.

Two episodes appear in the feed and when subscribing, but only the later one in the Store page. I can see no reason for this: a possible explanation is that you managed to have only the later episode in the feed for a time, at which point the Store checked the feed (it caches feeds and checks them in some sort of rotation). You then put the earlier episode back, but the Store hasn't got round to checking it again yet.

If that is the case the earlier episode will turn up but it may take a couple of days.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2015 2:20 PM in response to centralmod

The two URLs you give are in fact to the same Store page. When you add an episode you don't have to resubmit the feed - you just add the episode then wait for the Store to catch up.

Two episodes appear in the feed and when subscribing, but only the later one in the Store page. I can see no reason for this: a possible explanation is that you managed to have only the later episode in the feed for a time, at which point the Store checked the feed (it caches feeds and checks them in some sort of rotation). You then put the earlier episode back, but the Store hasn't got round to checking it again yet.

If that is the case the earlier episode will turn up but it may take a couple of days.

Jul 17, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I didn't know that I needed to submit the same feed again and that all I had to do was add the episode to the website.

Two questions for you:

1) Do I leave the box for itunes subscriptions url box blank in powerpress and not put any one of the urls and expect itunes to know that there are 2 episodes on the feed? As of now I put the url of the second episode in that box. Should I remove it?

2) So, every time i add an episode, I have to wait until itunes publishes it in the store and don't need to worry about putting anything in the itunes subscriptions url box in powerpress after it appears in the store. Am I right?

I'll let you know if what you said kicks in a couple of days.

Thank you so much!

mjandhy

Jul 17, 2015 11:34 PM in response to centralmod

I can't advise specifically on Powerpress; when you add an episode to the feed and republish it, that is all you need to do. The feed is already registered with the Store and it will check automatically, though it might take a couple of days before the new episode appears (it will appear immediately for subscribers as their iTunes application reads the feed directly and thue Store is not involved.

There is a forum for PowerPress which can give you advice on that - http://forum.blubrry.com

Jul 18, 2015 12:39 AM in response to centralmod

Your PowerPress feed is valid and as Roger has pointed out, both of your episodes are listed properly in the feed. I subscribed to your feed thru the iTunes Store listing on the iTunes desktop application and it worked fine. Also, both episodes are showing up as expected in my local subscription.

The iTunes Store has been dealing with a number of weird glitches and outages lately. It's possible that one of these problems is affecting your listing in the iTunes Store. In which case, all you can do is wait for the situation to work itself out.

If you need further assistance with a PowerPress issue, please consider posting on the Blubrry Support Forum: http://forum.blubrry.com/

Jul 18, 2015 8:28 AM in response to shawnogordo

HI,

Thank you for your input. My concern is when readers click on itunes link under the article #1,

http://specialneedsinmycity.com/snimc-201-what-every-parent-ought-to-know-about- cerebral-palsy-interview-with-shriners-s…

the reader is sent to itunes but the episode doesn't appear in the store, it shows article #2.

And if they click on the RSS link (next to ITunes link) it gives them a page filled with code.

mjandhy

Jul 18, 2015 8:50 AM in response to centralmod

The RSS link works perfectly well - if readers are seeing the code it's because they haven't nominated an RSS reader and their browser is treating it as a text file. There isn't anything you can do about that, other than changing the http at the beginning to itpc - this will automatically subscribe visitors to the feed in iTunes, provided they have it installed. If they don't (as most Windows users won't) they will get an error message asking them to associate a program with this protocol, which is the disadvantage of that method.

The link to the Store works as expected, it's just that as we discussed earlier the Store is not showing the first episode for reasons we are not clear about.

Incidentally your web page is loading extremely slowly - around 30 seconds on the first go, and still quite slow after that. This isn't going to help and if the feed is going to be that slow to respond the Store is likely to timeout and not read it. You need to get that fixed because if the Store keeps being unable to read the feed it will assume it's dead and remove your podcast.

Jul 18, 2015 11:17 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Will do. You touched on something earlier that I wanted to get your take on.

My web host, Arvixe notified me that due to their server problems, my site's database is corrupted and needs to be restored using backup. If ITunes Store comes for an update on my feed and sees no website, will they remove the podcasts from their store?

Never knew this happens on shared servers.

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2015 11:29 PM in response to centralmod

It's the feed rather than the web pages that the Store is interested in, but presumably that will be affected in the same way. It won't do any harm if the Store fails to check the feed once, or even a few ties, but eventually it will decide that the podcast is not available and will remove it. I don't know how long this will take but we've had cases where people haven't realised they've deleted the feed and the Store has continued to show the cached version for many weeks, so I don't think you need worry if it's only going to be a day or two.

Not able to see my approved podcast episode #1 but can see my 2nd episode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.