Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ichat fails to connect to other user

I use ichat often to converse with family overseas, as well as technical help to family with computer issues by taking control of their computer via the ichat feature.

Over the last 2 weeks it seems I am unable to connect to 2 different people, in different areas via ichat at all. Iit comes back with an error of "failed to connect", or the "person declined the invitation", which is inaccurate. If I try the same task on my own network, it works just fine, but not over the internet.

I have Apple Airport extreme as far as router, and so do both parties I mentioned above I tried to connect with.

I have never had an issue in the past, this seems to be something new.

Anyone by chance have a fix for this? We are all on the latest OS etc.

Cheers,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 3:44 PM

31 replies

Jul 19, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Kkanuck

Hi,

I am not getting any sense of where people are.

I have a pet theory that possibly this might be related to IPv6 and that some large ISP has join the party or possibly one of the big communication companies that also have stakes in the Internet backbone have enabled IPv6.

iChat certainly had issues when it could see both IPv4 and IPv6 connections (two IP addresses it seems) It also did not like the use of WiFi and Ethernet on the same computer - definitely two IPs.

Connection need to be very linear and two IP causes major problems.

I have it working using two AIM accounts, one on Yosemite and one on Snow Leopard/iChat 5.0.3

User uploaded file

9:06 pm Sunday; July 19, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 20, 2015 10:31 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Same problem here in Canada with all of my contacts. I cannot connect to anyone.

We are on same and different ISPs.

I have checked my Airport Extreme and also remove it from my setup to check, but I have the same problem.

Also, my Apple Remote Desktop sometimes refuses to connect to the same contact.

I do not use IPV6. It is not available yet here.

I noticed that phenomena started with OS X 10.10 4 update two weeks ago.

But my FaceTime is working with all of my contacts. Even with those with iPad and iPhone under iOS 8,4 and 8,3.

I tried to trash the Message preference file without success. Restarted in Safe mode, repaired the permissions without success.

I am looking for a clue...

Thanks

Jean-Luc B.

IMac 2011 27in, OSX 10.10.4

IPad 3rd generation, iOS 8.4

<Personal Information Edited By Host>

Jul 20, 2015 12:24 PM in response to hibiscusjlb

Hi,

Does this mean that you have the Mac IPv6 setting set to Local Link only ?

(I think this pet theory might be very short lived.)

User uploaded file

8:24 pm Monday; July 20, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 21, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Kkanuck

I made tests this morning with one of my contacts.

We were able to share screens with Yosemite but not with AIM.

We were not able to connect with AIM accounts.

I remember having read that Apple want to break the AIM connections. Is this actually effective and could it be that is the source of our problem.

We can exchange text with Message but no more video connection.

I hope that we will find a cure soon. Otherwise, we will have to use another chat software.

Thanks

Jean-Luc

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jul 21, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Kkanuck

Has anyone been able to continue using ichat the old way (screen sharing and video calls including 3 ways) with a Google Jabber account in place of an Aim account, and if the old functionality will work in that setting like Aim used to?

Using screen video chat with messages it does not appear like one can have a 3 way call, only single connection, but I may have not realized there is actually a way to have a 3 way call.

Jul 21, 2015 12:37 PM in response to Kkanuck

Hi,

Mac to Mac using AIM names I have been able to connect from my iMac (Yosemite) to iChat 5.0.3 on Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro.

I have tried creating another Jabber account to test the Google side but I am having trouble setting that up with the server I chose.

The AIM to AIM connection I made does of course go through the same router.

I have it set to relay the Video through AIM.

4 way chats Video chats (you and 3 others) just needs you to drag the others to the Chat (you can highlight all three in the Buddy List but it is easier to make them join one at a time).

I have dabbled again with Psi (A Jabber only App) to try and make sure this new account can see Google and get authorised but no luck at the moment.

User uploaded file

8:37 pm Tuesday; July 21, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 25, 2015 5:50 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Another one here having the same issues.

AIM accounts with user name only. 10.6.8 and ichat 5.03 on both ends going from CA, USA to Scotland UK. tried swapping port to 443. Tried deleting all ichat plists. Tried changing the UK location from a BTinternet provider to Virgin. All failed at the 'Starting video...' stage. This problem started about two weeks back after being used successfully for years.

I can connect to another machine on my local wifi network.

phil

Jul 28, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Dtinen

Hi,

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

Use the above link. It is the correct page for iChat and Messages (It just has never been updated to reflect Messages).

Put all info that would be in the lower drop downs in the free Text area as those drop down also don't get updated.

User uploaded file

8:12 p.m. Tuesday; July 28, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Mar 10, 2016 11:45 AM in response to Kkanuck

I all,

I am currently using OS X 10.11.3 and had one successful Video yesterday.

I am not sure the Update is what fixed it or if it is a general fix at the SNATMAP server for All version of Messages and iChat using AIM or Jabber connections.

User uploaded file

7:45 pm Thursday; March 10, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Ichat fails to connect to other user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.