Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with 10.10.4 on mac pro 3.1(early 2008)

Computer keeps freezing at the start up screen. Is it my stock video card?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 6:35 PM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2015 6:55 PM in response to Joesax21

a quick "Litmus test" for third-part extensions AND the Apple graphics driver and the Hardware on your graphics card is to start up in Safe Mode. (Hold down Shift at Startup.)

First, it does a Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]). You will see a progress bar while it does this for about five minutes.

Then it puts up a Login screen and requires your ID and password, even if you normally auto-login. It will say SAFE MODE in RED.

Once logged in, no graphics card Drivers are loaded, and screen refresh will be slow. No third-party drivers at all are loaded. Many things work, a few will not. Now is the time to check and change any settings you think might be messed up.

Your next Startup (back to "regular" mode) will take slightly longer because the extensions cache will be rebuilt.

If it works fine in Safe Mode, but does not work in Regular Mode, the differences are third-party kernel extensions (if any) and your graphics card.

Jul 19, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for all of the very helpful answers! I started the computer in safe mode and so far , everything is working . I was glade that I was able to at least get it up and running since I wasn't able to in regular mode.

Checking all of my settings and so far , no problems on that end .

I'm going to replace the video card with a newer model that is capable of working with my model and with 10.10.4 . Thanks again!

problems with 10.10.4 on mac pro 3.1(early 2008)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.