Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2015 Battery Drain While in Sleep

Hi Guys,

My battery seems to drain faster than I would expect while my Macbook is sleeping. I lose maybe 5 or 10% in 8 hours which seems excessive to me. My 2012 Macbook Air only lost a percent or two in that time.

Also when I check my wifi router, my new Macbook remains connected to WiFi during the entire sleep, which is odd as my old Air disconnects immediately.

I am wondering if something is preventing the Mac from going into full sleep mode??

Thanks

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 7:05 PM

8 replies

Jul 28, 2015 12:06 PM in response to justwonderingaboutmacs

Hi, I have tried it with the WiFi off and while that stops the regular wakes it did not make so much difference to the battery drain.

I think there are some things which may work as there are many more power options available from the command line under the 'pmset -g' command.

At default my macbook 12 was set to 'Sleep' when the lid is shut & then is set to 'Standby' after a delay of 4hrs on battery and 24hrs on AC.

(sleep keeps Ram & other systems going, Standby is like hibernate)

But it never actually went into standby ever as it would wake from sleep every hour or two for something like icloud sync or whatever.

So I temporarily changed my Standby Delay to 20 minutes, "sudo pmset -a standbydelay 1200" , so now it does standby (or hibernate to the SSD) about 25 mins after closing the lid and I can tell this as it takes about 1 second to wake on opening. But even like this it still keeps the wifi running and still wakes up every hour or 2 to do some unknown things, so the battery drain is little improved.

Next I will try it in standby with the wifi switched off and see if that keeps it in lower power state without the regular wakeups.

It seems quite odd to me as I thought in 'standby' it would not wake and would power off the wifi !

I have also read that reinstalling osx from fresh can help with mysterious wakes.

Jul 29, 2015 4:23 PM in response to stevelavv

this is crazy. could you, and other users who are not affected by this, post your pmset output?

pmset -g

standbydelay 10800

standby 1

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

darkwakes 0

gpuswitch 2

disksleep 10

sleep 15

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 15

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Jul 29, 2015 4:43 PM in response to justwonderingaboutmacs

I have tried it now with standby delay of 10 mins (600 sec) and wifi off and I get no wakes and loose 0.15% charge per hour over 9 hrs.

(calculated from charge ma/h in system report)

With standby delay 600 and wifi on I get around 0.25% per hour loss and wakes from standby every few hours.

With standby delay 2400 (4hrs) and wifi on I get about 0.5% loss per hour and it wakes every few hours probably for some icloud sync purpose and never goes into standby or full 'hibernate' as far as I can tell.

So make of that what you will !

I'll go for standby delay 20 mins and switch off wifi at night, which is not much hassle.

pmset -g

standbydelay 1200

standby 1

womp 0

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

darkwakes 0

gpuswitch 2

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 10

sleep 1

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Jul 30, 2015 12:07 PM in response to justwonderingaboutmacs

I even got 0.08% per hour last night which seems fine to me.

I think mac standby is the full hibernate mode you get from hibernate mode 25 but just with new macs the wif is kept going and it wakes up to sync icloud every few hours.

Plus I think hibernate mode 25 hibernates immediately on closing the lid which I dont want.

Turning the wifi manually off at night is not a hassle for me. I'm just glad I now know why I was getting too much drain before and its not something wrong. For people relying on icloud a lot it must be a good feature to have it sync even in sleep and I suppose a few percent drain is worth it for them.

Macbook 2015 Battery Drain While in Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.