Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My i phone 5 has a problem with charging the phone . When i charge my phone i have to push my data cable up in the phone charging port (hole) to charge my phone and i did clean my charging hole in phonek

I Cant charge my i phone 5 . I have to push my data cable higher in the phone . I did clean the charging hole in i phone

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:42 AM

I posted this method in another thread. Thought it might help. Sometimes just cleaning it with a toothpick isn't enough. The toothpick strategy worked for me at first, but then my iPod Touch started having charging problems again. So I tried a combination of several methods mentioned in a different thread. It is charging fine again! Here are the steps I used:

1. Make sure device is powered off.

2. Gently scrape the inside of the port with a plastic toothpick or similar object. This will get most of the big clumps of lint and dust out.

3. Using a flashlight, check deep inside the port. I noticed a lot of dirt caked in the bottom corners of the port. No doubt this was compressed lint and dust that got pushed and pressed every time I plugged it in. It created a "dirt cushion" that I believe prevented the end of my cable from inserting all the way. My plastic toothpick would not dislodge this.

4. Using a metal pin, carefully scrape the compressed dirt to dislodge it. When I did this, quite a bit came loose. I found it useful to revert back to a plastic toothpick to remove the dislodged dirt from the port.

5. Spray the port with some canned compressed air.

6. Rip a very small piece of paper towel and dip it in rubbing alcohol. Remove excess moisture from the paper towel so that it is damp, not soaking wet. Wrap the towel around the end of the toothpick and insert it into the port. Gently clean the metal leads (or whatever they are called). I was surprised to see the amount of black gunk that showed up on the paper towel.

7. Allow a minute or two for the port to dry. Since rubbing alcohol was used, the moisture evaporates quickly so you may not have to wait...but I did anyway just in case.

8. Power on your device and plug it in to check if cleaning was successful.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to raghu12

I posted this method in another thread. Thought it might help. Sometimes just cleaning it with a toothpick isn't enough. The toothpick strategy worked for me at first, but then my iPod Touch started having charging problems again. So I tried a combination of several methods mentioned in a different thread. It is charging fine again! Here are the steps I used:

1. Make sure device is powered off.

2. Gently scrape the inside of the port with a plastic toothpick or similar object. This will get most of the big clumps of lint and dust out.

3. Using a flashlight, check deep inside the port. I noticed a lot of dirt caked in the bottom corners of the port. No doubt this was compressed lint and dust that got pushed and pressed every time I plugged it in. It created a "dirt cushion" that I believe prevented the end of my cable from inserting all the way. My plastic toothpick would not dislodge this.

4. Using a metal pin, carefully scrape the compressed dirt to dislodge it. When I did this, quite a bit came loose. I found it useful to revert back to a plastic toothpick to remove the dislodged dirt from the port.

5. Spray the port with some canned compressed air.

6. Rip a very small piece of paper towel and dip it in rubbing alcohol. Remove excess moisture from the paper towel so that it is damp, not soaking wet. Wrap the towel around the end of the toothpick and insert it into the port. Gently clean the metal leads (or whatever they are called). I was surprised to see the amount of black gunk that showed up on the paper towel.

7. Allow a minute or two for the port to dry. Since rubbing alcohol was used, the moisture evaporates quickly so you may not have to wait...but I did anyway just in case.

8. Power on your device and plug it in to check if cleaning was successful.

My i phone 5 has a problem with charging the phone . When i charge my phone i have to push my data cable up in the phone charging port (hole) to charge my phone and i did clean my charging hole in phonek

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.