Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best WiFi USB dongle for Mac Pro (early 2009)?

I want to add WiFi to my early 2009 Mac Pro, mainly so I can use AirPlay and AirDrop

I'm guessing the easiest way to achieve this is with a USB WiFi dongle?

My router is a BT Home Hub 4 and there's also an Airport Express (one of the earlier ones that plugs direct into the mains socket, not like the current model on a cable) in range.

Please ease can anyone suggest a suitable WiFi dongle that will work with this setup?

Mac Pro (early 2009)-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 10:46 PM

18 replies

Jul 18, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Robin Johnson

See:

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p33/Wifi_AC_and_Bluetooth_Airport_Card.html

To my knowledge your Mac still will not support AirPlay since The other computer hardware does not support AIrPlay

Here is an AC wifi dongle that is compatible with a Mac. Although the page only says as high as OSX 10.9 they have drivers for 10.10 that you have to download (they do not come on the CD that ships with the device)

Jul 18, 2015 10:07 AM in response to Robin Johnson

I was going to suggest iogear. I bought a bluetooth dongle from them a while back and no problem at all.

works with mac right out of the package. As for airplay and airdrop, I think you might need Yosemite for that

if you want to do it between mac and iPhone, iPad etc, your Mac has to be 2012 or later. I don't know why the mid 2012 Mac pro doesn't work.

I've never used airdrop before.. I'm just going by what Apple says here. If you want to transfer files from one Mac to another, then if you have a mac Pro desktop from 2009 with airport card or Mid 2010, you're in luck, if you want to transfer stuff from iphone to Mac Pro, probably need newer Mac pro. as for airplay, it says 2012 for that, at least out of the box. there are a few apps for older Mac pro, such as AirParrot, but that's about the only way I can see that happening. As for airdrop between your mac pro and an iPhone, yeah, it's possible, but it'll take some finding out, which I'll leave up to you.

Let's just say these things aren't going to work right out of the box. They are going to need some help if you want 'em to work at all

good luck

JB

Jul 18, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Robin Johnson

Why don't you buy an Airport Card instead of buying a USB Dongle? The card is very simple to install, plug-in, 2 screws and attach the cable for the antennas and it is located at easy reach to install. This way you can have better communication and a free USB slot. The price is about $30.00 to $40.00 and you can find it on Ebay or Amazon. You can search for videos in You Tube that demonstrate this simple task.

Jul 18, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Nestmac

yeah-good suggestion, Nestmac. I'm presuming you've done this yourself before, right?, in either a 2008 Mac Pro tower or 2009 one ? I don't mean to brag, but I have done it myself before on a 2008 and 2009 Mac Pro, and trust me, it's a bear to do. If you have patience (and lots of it) plus a magnetized screwdriver and good manual dexterity, and you know which antenna cable goes to which socket, it's possible, but again, it's a pain to do. Maybe someone isn't comfortable opening up their Mac pro. Maybe someone wants something that's simple. plug n' play and "just works" with a minimum of fuss and effort

maybe not.... of course I might be wrong...it must be simple to install

JB

Jul 19, 2015 3:27 AM in response to Nestmac

I purchases a used 2009 Mac Pro and it did not come with a wifi card. I purchased one from OWC/MacSales. The instructions were clear and the only difficulty was getting the three antenna connection attached. I had to use tweezers and a plastic rod to get them attached. The two attachment screws are very small and required tweezers too.

You also have to remove the processor tray but you only have to open two levers and slide the tray out

Jul 19, 2015 10:13 AM in response to lllaass

Many thanks for all your replies. I had looked up about the Airport card, but I was put off by the fact that (a) nowadays you can only find pre-used ones and (b) I had read that the three tiny wires were an absolute pig to locate and deal with!

It's not a case of not wanting to open it up, Nestmac, just not wanting to do a very fiddly job with fingers like oversized bananas! 😉

I've since found a USB solution by Newertech which I'm going to try. If that doesn't work I will look at the Macvidcards solution (although they are all currently out of stock and there is still the issue of installation to address). I realise that it probably won't be seamless and the limitations of the hard/software, but for what I'm doing, anything has to be easier than continually transferring files manually between my Mac Pro and iMac via a USB stick!

Jul 19, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Robin Johnson

Hmmmm....if that's all you want to do is transfer files and they're on the same network?? maybe dropbox? does iCloud work with just Ethernet?

anyways, glad you found a solution

and to Nestmac, sorry if I came across as rude and too snappy and strong. it was not my intention or aim to be offensive or disrespectful. You're entitled to your opinion and all that. However, it's been my experience that things which seem easy or simple to install, sometimes aren't that way. I bought an airport card from amazon and it said the same thing-easy and simple to install, comes with 2 screws and detailed instructions. Well, the card was there, and the screws were there, but the instructions weren't. Luckily the guy who bought my old mac pro gave me some kind of help in getting those antenna connectors on and the card wiggled into the slot, and the wifi working. If it was totally up to me, I'd have just given him the card, the 2 screws and told him "good luck"

I guess if dropbox and iCloud don't work with just ethernet, and you can't transfer files from one Mac to the other via the network (file sharing, I think??)

then yeah, you're going to have to have some kind of wifi anyways....

jb

Jul 19, 2015 6:17 PM in response to Robin Johnson

Everyone of us have different opinions about the same topic based in our knowledge and experience but the goal is to find the one that fits the need of the one who is asking. I fell comfortable opening a computer and fixing things, even changing the screen of an iPhone 5c (those screws were tiny, tiny, tiny), but I know there are people that prefer not to even try it, just to be safe and not make things worst. Just a couple of minutes ago I got my hands inside a Mac Pro, installing a HD on the second optical bay.

User uploaded file

Besides, I'm not bragging about it.

Robin good luck with the Newertech dongle.

Johnb-one, no hard feelings.

Jul 22, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Nestmac

Just to round this topic off, the Newertech dongle arrived today and, after only about 15 minutes messing around with the settings, I got it working fine with the Mac Pro. To answer a couple of questions that this thread raised:

IIIass - The early 2009 Mac Pro IS compatible with AirPlay. You have to allow CoreAudio to bypass the firewall, but once you've done that it works fine.

Johnb-one - I am using it for mixing (Logic 9, can't get on with X, hence still on Mavericks) songs. Like all good mixers, I check the mixes on different speakers, two of mine happen to be AirPlay. Before I was having to bounce songs from Logic to stereo AIFF, copy AIFF to USB dongle, copy AIFF from dongle to iMac, play via AirPlay from iMac. This was a lot of faffing about, so I wanted a solution to play songs direct from Logic on the Mac Pro to the AirPlay speakers. AirDrop doesn't work. but old-style file sharing does, so that's fine too.

The only down side is that there is chronic latency, around 2000ms, but that's not an issue as I'm just listening back to the mixes via AirPlay, not mixing 'live' as it were. But the fact that I can now do it direct from Logic is saving a huge amount of time and mucking about!

Best WiFi USB dongle for Mac Pro (early 2009)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.