Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New ipod touch on ios 8.4 can't connect to iMessage and Facetime. Any suggestions?

I bought a new ipod touch for my son last week (on IOS 8.4). I have created a child account for him in app store and functionality seems fine. However, as I tried to activate the imessage and facetime apps, I did not get past the first screen. On occassion, I got message that there was a connection error but there is no wifi issues. I have an iphone and a couple of ipads but it never encountered any similar problems? Can you please assist? I researched the web but none of the solutions offerred worked.

iPod touch, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 5:57 AM

7 replies

Aug 10, 2015 9:41 AM in response to georgephin

FYI, I figured out a sort of a solution...

Not suitable for everyone, but faster than contacting support (which requires apple care, at least in my country) as it seems to have been the only solution for a few people...

Problem: trying to setup imessage and Facetime on an iPad 4, for my mother, who used to have an old iPad 1 (which doesn't support Facetime):

1) changed the email address associated with her account to an unused email of mine, and then verifying it.

2) Created a new account with the "old" email address, verifying it again.

3) Login in iPad, imessage and Facetime fully working

Obviously, this was an option as the original account didn't have any purchases that were necessary to keep...

Ridiculous, but all working now.

Just to be clear:

I was also getting the wheel spinning when trying to login to imessage and Facetime. No errors would be displayed.

Used every recommendation that is mentioned in the forums: date/time set automatically, reset networks setting, reset whole iPad, 8.8.8.8 DNS...

My mum's account was verified, and worked perfectly in iCloud, app store, etc...

To further prove that the problem was with the account and not the device:

- Using my account in the iPad that gave her trouble, worked perfectly

- Using my mums account in my iPad would not

Hope this helps some people! Good luck!

New ipod touch on ios 8.4 can't connect to iMessage and Facetime. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.