Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete key not working in Safari

My delete key does not work in Safari, effectively making the browser useless. This is not a hardware issue. The key works in Chrome and Firefox and every other application I use. Also, I can find no other key that does not function. Earlier posts on this subject suggest disabling the Click to Flash Extension. What's the Click to Flash extension?

I am posting this as a new topic rather than replying to older posts because the older posts are several years old. Hopefully, there is new information.

MacBookPro; iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 7:33 AM

What OS version are you using? Your profile shows 10.5.6.

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks also Yosemite

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Icahnoclast

What OS version are you using? Your profile shows 10.5.6.

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks also Yosemite

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Jul 19, 2015 3:24 PM in response to Eric Root

I am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. Thanks for your reply. I will work on it.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM151.0207.B03

SMC Version (system): 2.22f16

Serial Number (system): C02NQ6BJFY11

Hardware UUID: 34CECD95-4EF2-5049-B16C-F85273177D91

Jul 24, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Eric Root

I restarted in safe mode and went to Preferences/Extensions. Each extension showed either Installed or Install. I could find no way of turning off an installed extension. There was no uninstall button, nor did that option appear when right-clicking on the extension. Delete key still did not work with Safari in safe mode.

I restarted normally, and the delete key still did not work. However, when I went to Preferences/Extensions in regular mode, all extensions were off - that is, each showed an option to 'Install.' I restarted in safe mode and went to P/E. The extensions previously installed again showed up as installed. I tried the delete key in Safari. It worked in safe mode. I restarted in regular mode, tried the delete key, and it worked.

I am mystified by the whole sequence and wish I had taken screen shots along the way. In any case, my delete key is now working in Safari again. Thank you for your help.

Jul 24, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Icahnoclast

Well, I spoke too soon. The delete key works when deleting in the URL line, but not elsewhere - writing an email in Gmail or filling out a form, etc. So I will go back to my previous remedy - not using Safari and going back to Chrome. (I see that I can delete in writing this reply, so maybe it's Gmail - another battle in the Apple-Google Wars.)

Aug 15, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Eric Root

I have been doing without Safari but decided to try adding a new account and testing because I miss several Safari features.

Safari worked fine in the new account. However, when I tried to log out, I could not. Nor could I restart or shut down. It would go to sleep. That's all. I tried force quit and saw that Team Viewer was not responding. I deleted Team Viewer. The computer immediately shut down.

On restarting, the delete key momentarily seemed to work in my account, but then reverted to previous behavior. So, there is something in my user account that is causing the problem. But I have been unable to isolate the issue. Any suggestions? Can I delete my user account and redo? Or do I lose all my settings and data, etc. (Don't really know the correct terms.) Thanks for the create user account suggestion.

Aug 17, 2015 3:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the reply. I went to the Linc Davis post and followed the instructions - more or less. There were no items in my Library similar to those shown in the post. There is nothing at all related to Safari in the Library or in the Cache. None of the items in Step 3 are shown in my Library (unless I am not in the correct folder. More than one?).

I did uninstall certain extensions and tested Safari in Safe Mode and with extensions turned off. The situation did improve somewhat. The delete key now works when typing in the URL line, and it works when typing an email in G-Mail. However, I still cannot delete any character or highlighted section in any search box. Nor can I use the delete key when filling out an online form. Again, none of these problems occurs when logged in as another user, but I still can't find the conflict within my user account that is causing this.

Aug 18, 2015 7:16 AM in response to Icahnoclast

You are welcome. There are 3 Library folders.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library.

Delete key not working in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.