Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music and iTunes Playlist syncing

I'm using Windows iTunes 12.1.2.27. I have an iPhone 5s running IOS 8.4. I just signed up for Apple Music and enjoy it so far. I have previously created smart playlists on my computer that I want to sync to my iPhone for listening. My question is how do I get those smart playlists to show up on my iPhone? The songs appear to be coming over but the playlists don't seem to exist anywhere on the iPhone. Please help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2015 12:15 PM

Hey I asked this question last week and i found an answer. The answer appears to be that iCloud Music Library needs to be turned off to successfully sync the playlists. I did the following to get it to work.

1. Disconnect phone from laptop.

2. Under Phone Settings > Music. Turn OFF iCloud Music Library. Close Settings and reopen to confirm the changed setting saved. If not (it didn't for me), power down the phone. Then repeat and the setting should save.

3. Connect Phone to laptop and launch iTunes.

4. Go to Phone on iTunes and then Music. You should see the old iTunes Music screen which allows you to select playlists, etc to sync.

5. Sync phone

6. Check on Apple Music > My Music > Playlists. Old playlists should be accessible.

7. Under Phone Settings > Music. Turn ON iCloud Music Library. When you turn on iCloud Music Library you will be asked whether or not you want to Merge your playlists. Select Merge.

This allows me to use Apple Music and my playlists appear on my iPhone.

Hope this helps someone else as well.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2015 12:15 PM in response to trebor612

Hey I asked this question last week and i found an answer. The answer appears to be that iCloud Music Library needs to be turned off to successfully sync the playlists. I did the following to get it to work.

1. Disconnect phone from laptop.

2. Under Phone Settings > Music. Turn OFF iCloud Music Library. Close Settings and reopen to confirm the changed setting saved. If not (it didn't for me), power down the phone. Then repeat and the setting should save.

3. Connect Phone to laptop and launch iTunes.

4. Go to Phone on iTunes and then Music. You should see the old iTunes Music screen which allows you to select playlists, etc to sync.

5. Sync phone

6. Check on Apple Music > My Music > Playlists. Old playlists should be accessible.

7. Under Phone Settings > Music. Turn ON iCloud Music Library. When you turn on iCloud Music Library you will be asked whether or not you want to Merge your playlists. Select Merge.

This allows me to use Apple Music and my playlists appear on my iPhone.

Hope this helps someone else as well.

Apple Music and iTunes Playlist syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.