Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Download OS X Yosemite

I have 10.6.8 and I am trying to download OS X Yosemite. It will start the download but after a few moments an error message will come up saying, "The application you tried to download could not be downloaded. Check your internet connection and try again". My internet connection is fine. I have been trying to get this to work for hours with no luck. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 11:32 AM

7 replies

Jul 18, 2015 1:08 PM in response to sbailey27

Before you install Yosemite, make sure you have one of these Macs:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

• OS X Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8, already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available disk space

From here > How to install OS X Yosemite on your Mac - Apple Support

If your Mac meets the requirements, just in case, check your downloads speed > Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Less than 10Mbps, you may have problems downloadiing and installing Yosemite.

Keep in mind, with Yosemite installed, if at some point you would need to reformat the disk or restore OS X, that requires a broadband connection as noted > OS X Recovery

Jul 18, 2015 5:28 PM in response to sbailey27

Wired or wireless connection to the internet?

Wireless network connections can often result in errors during large, long downloads, regardless of apparent connection speed.

A full Yosemite dmg download is over 5GB.

For best results, use a wired Ethernet connection.

Some people have found that adding additional DNS servers (such as Google or Open Systems) in Network Preferences also improves download times significantly.

Jul 22, 2015 8:41 AM in response to kostby

Apple seems to like this post enough to recommend it.

Before going wireless on my main computer, I was suspicious of the reliability of wireless. Since migrating, I've found wireless reliable. There is built in re-try in wireless like the rest of the internet protocol.

It's worth a try to try a wired connection. I wouldn't say it was the "solution" as apple recommends suggests.

Isn't there a way of checking the reliability of your wireless connections. Yes, check out network utility:

OS X: About Network Utility - Apple Support

or from the terminal

ifconfig

Can't Download OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.