Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trash won't empty

I am trying to empty trash. For maybe ten minutes it appears as if nothing is happening in "Trash" window. Then this message appears, "The finder can't complete the operation because some data in "" can't be read or written. (Error code-36). I then have the option to "Stop" or "Continue."

iMac 7, 1, OS X 10.9.5, 2 GHz Intel ore 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Storage Capacity 21517 GB, 155.22 GB available

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 11:36 AM

Are the items in the Trash on an external storage device? If you're not sure, unmount all such devices and see whether they go away.

10 replies

Jul 18, 2015 12:07 PM in response to SilverMiner

SilverMiner wrote:

I am trying to empty trash. For maybe ten minutes it appears as if nothing is happening in "Trash" window. Then this message appears, "The finder can't complete the operation because some data in "" can't be read or written. (Error code-36). I then have the option to "Stop" or "Continue."

iMac 7, 1, OS X 10.9.5, 2 GHz Intel ore 2 Duo, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, Storage Capacity 21517 GB, 155.22 GB available

If it is recovered files from an application crash - starting the application and then ending it without error may release the files.

Had a crash with Adobe CS3 Bridge - some files showed up in trash and could not be deleted until I started the Bridge and had a norma end.

Jul 18, 2015 3:07 PM in response to SilverMiner

The file system on the startup volume has been corrupted. That's always the result of a drive malfunction or some other hardware fault. If you want to try to continue using the machine as is, you'll need to erase the volume, reinstall OS X, and then restore all your other data from a backup. But that's not what I recommend.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

trash won't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.