Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format my new SSD properly

I have Mac Mini, late 2012, OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5, 16Gb Ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000

I've recently added a 240Gb SSD to the machine.

It's booting up fine to the original drive, but I'm struggling to get the SSD to mount.

I've tried to reformat it - then realised that there was a problem that appear to be that the disk had a MBR boot record, rather than the GUID that it needs, I download Gdisk which let me sort this - but when I get it partitioned it only seems to mount momentarily and never verifies correctly - I've had a disk filing system Error 8 more than once.

I've tried doing this in Recovery mode - no real difference, and in Internet Recovery mode (which won't let me do anything other than reformat both drives as a hybrid drive - which ideally I would like, but I'd like to be sure that my new drive works before I take the plunge of deleting my existing drive)

I've also booted into single user mode and used fsck -fy - which appears to check that the original drive is OK, rather than the new one (presumably because it's still booting to the old one)

Any suggestions. It's a SanDisk SSD btw - I've not had any problems with their stuff before, so I'm guessing it's OK, also it is visible from the disk utility app, and the SMART monitoring shows it as verified.

Suggestions please ?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Late 2012

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 1:08 PM

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2015 1:08 PM in response to Seethinggit

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Jul 18, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Seethinggit

I\m finding it's sticking when creating the partition , giving the message "waiting for the disks to reappear" - and this doesn't seem to progress however long I leave it. If I interrupt by quitting the app, then when I open up again there's a partition showing on the drive - with a name other than the one I've uses - presumably a temporary name used by the DU app, the Security options are greyed out.

Jul 18, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Seethinggit

Please make a snapshot of the partition map for the new drive and a snapshot of the created volume. Snap the entire Disk Utility window.

To post screen shot do this:

1. Press COMMAND-SHIFT-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Click on the Camera icon in the toolbar of the forum message editor.
  5. Drag the image onto the Choose File button and click on the Insert button.

Jul 18, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Seethinggit

You could have a loose connection of the SATA cable to the logic board.

When I replaced my HD with an SSD in my 2102 Mini I had similar problem and it was due to a loose connection.

Also, it you are planning to use the SSD as a boot disk some users have found that an SD would not boot when the SSD was in the normally empty upper bay. Exchanging the SSD with the HD resolved the problem

Jul 18, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Seethinggit

If you force quit Disk Utility then re-open it are you able to Delete, [-] button, the partition? If not, then please do this:

Open the Terminal in your Utilities folder. At the prompt paste the following:

diskutil cs list

Press RETURN. Copy the results from the Terminal window and post them here for me to look at.

I suggest that if you plan on using the SSD as the startup disk, you should install it in the computer's main drive bay/location replacing the HDD. Move the HDD to the optical bay so you may continue to use it as the startup disc. SSDs do not work very well in the optical bay.

Jul 18, 2015 3:42 PM in response to lllaass

Can't really see it being a loose connection - the connection is so tiny - it's an all or nothing thing really. At the drive end of things it looked fairly well seated. From what I read, it shouldn't make a difference which socket the drive is plugged into, but I guess it won't harm to try - except it's a bit of a tow taking it to bits again - also if I'm messing on with my original drive I'll have to back up first. A bit of a faff again as my external drive is the same size as my internal drive (500gb) so I'll have to temporarily store the contents of that somewhere before I can do a proper back up. All easy enough, but takes time.

Jul 18, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Seethinggit

With my problem the Mac would boot fine and then become very slow and then stop working. If ai manully turned it off it and startup a gain an hour or so later the same symptoms would repeat.

If I booted to Recovery I would get some errors repairing the SSD before it would freeze

I then took it apart with the intent of replace he SSD which appeared to be defective, it was new. When taking it appeared that the connection between the cable and logic board was not fully seated. I seated the connector and it worked fine afterwards.

Aug 3, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Hedegaard8

This is an old post that you piggy backed on. It is not clear what "this" is and what exactly is your problem. Please clarify/provide the needed information. It is better to start you own discussion. Please also identify what model Mac yo have and where the disk is located. The 2011-2012 Mac Minis can have two drives installed.

How do I format my new SSD properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.