Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PNG file opens in Preview on boot

Whenever I reboot my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.10.4), Preview opens with NextOver@2x.png, a small right arrow graphic (hereafter, "the file"). Preview displays the filename and shows it as "locked". In anticipation of a response in this direction, yes, I've tried all the Command-W, Command-Q, etc. options before rebooting, to no avail.

The file is listed as a login item for my user account in System Preferences Users & Groups, but the minus command (to remove it) isn't available; it's greyed out.

I used a find command (terminal) to locate the file. It's here, supposedly: ./Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.flashplayer.installmanager.savedState but reports "Permission denied." Neither the file nor the containing directory is visible in the Finder.

I tried to chmod the file but got "Operation not permitted". (I should have all rights.)

I tried to grep the filename, figuring I'd find a plist or other file that I could get at with a text editor but got nothing that I could do anything with, other than, maybe, what I described below:

tim-macbook:/ tim$ grep -i -l -r NextOver@2x.png *

Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeResources

grep: Applications/BitTorrent Sync.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/fr_CA.lproj: No such file or directory

grep: Applications/BitTorrent Sync.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/fr_CA.lproj : No such file or directory

grep: Applications/BitTorrent Sync.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/fr_CA .lproj: No such file or directory

grep: Applications/HandBrake.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/fr_C A.lproj: No such file or directory

grep: Applications/HandBrake.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Res ources/fr_CA.lproj: No such file or directory

grep: Applications/HandBrake.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/Curre nt/Resources/fr_CA.lproj: No such file or directory

I grepped CodeResources for the filename and returned: <key>Resources/NextOver@2x.png</key>

I'm now at the limits of my knowledge, so here are my questions:

1. Is the Adobe PhotoShop Lightroom CodeResources file what's causing the file to open in Preview when I reboot?

2. Should I uninstall Lightroom (which I never use anyway) and is that likely to resolve the issue?

3. Is there somewhere else entirely that I should look?

4. Why did the other files (BitTorrent and HandBrake get hits with grep and what is the signficance then of "No such file or directory"?

Thanks, in advance!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 12:42 PM

8 replies

Jul 18, 2015 2:42 PM in response to tspofford

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

defaults read /L*/P*/loginw* | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Jul 19, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc, but no go. I don't know how to interpret this (well, "does not exist" is obvious <g>):

tim-macbook:~ tim$ defaults read /L*/P*/loginw* | pbcopy

2015-07-19 10:39:29.352 defaults[31688:471694]

The domain/default pair of (/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist, /Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist.lockfile) does not exist

tim-macbook:~ tim$

Thanks. I invite more suggestions from you or others.

Jul 19, 2015 6:17 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, I can. It doesn't seem to be a problem to add or remove other Login Items.

The minus (remove) icon is greyed out for the file in question and also - I just noticed this - for "HP Product Research (All". There is also a triangular "warning" icon next to both of these but right-clicking, double-clicking, etc. on them doesn't give me any more information. The "Kind" field for both of these is "Unknown."

Jul 19, 2015 6:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

Bingo! I unlocked users and groups, then rebooted, unlocked it again, and then removed the two files, rebooted again, and they stayed gone. Preview didn't open with the sticky file.

I had done this previously although possibly not in exactly the necessary order. Thanks, Linc, for your help and persistance. I only switched to Apple after 25 years on the other side a couple of years ago and there's much I still haven't discovered!

Jul 19, 2015 6:35 PM in response to tspofford

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Log out or restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

PNG file opens in Preview on boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.