Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering lost music from Ipod Touch

Hi All,

I am getting quite annoyed at my iPod Touch (Version 6.1.6).. in the past 2 months i have lost all my songs TWICE after putting in hours to updating playlists from hundreds of songs!!.. the first time i wasn't so sure what had happened but this is to note that all songs are not synced to my computer and is all managed manually.

Now yesterday I connected my iPod to add in a new song and all was working fine. Once i disconnected, I click on the Music app on my iPod and there are no songs.. at all!!.. I connect this back to my laptop (Windows) and the playlists and music names are there... but double click one or any and an exclamation mark appears in a circle.. now I have done some research but mainly gives me advice on restoring synced iPods unlike mine mine which is not.

Can anyone give me an answer on:

1. Why is my iPod doing this to me yet again?

2. How can I avoid this from happening in the future?

3. IMPORTANTLY: How can I restore all my music back again? Coz believe me IT ISN'T FUN TO DO MANUALLY FOR THE THIRD TIME..

Appreciate any feedback and sorry but this is frustrating, I have had this for a few years and I've grown accustomed to it 🙂

Thanks

iPod touch, Windows 8

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 7:34 PM

4 replies

Jul 19, 2015 3:29 AM in response to ChingyNavy676

The circled ! means that the iPod can't find the actual music files. Seems they got corrupted.

Connect the iPod to your computer and look at the storage used by the various categories as shown in the colored bargarph in iTunes.

Come back with the results.

An "other" larger than about 1 1/2 GB indicates corrupted files.

What is the Other on my iPhone and How to Remove It

What is "Other" and What Can I Do About It?

Next, usually restoring from backup eliminated the corrupted files. However, sometimes restoring to factory settings/new iPod is required.

To restore from backup see:

iOS: How to back up

To restore to factory settings/new iPod see:

iTunes: Restoring iOS software

Jul 27, 2015 3:01 PM in response to lllaass

Hi roaminggnome and Illaass,

OK so i have taken both response into account here:

roaminggnome: I have created playlists on the iTunes and synced them to the ipod as instructed, this is after clicking the option to and clearing out all the songs that were in there, assuming they were all corrupted.

Illaass: Thanks for the advice, it showed that no audio files are in the summary tab and i the others were a bit large so i had decided to go with roaminggnome's suggestion.

HERE IS THE STATUS AND ANOTHER PROBLEM NOW!!

So i have been updating the playlist from my laptop, syncing it almost everytime and it was working fine.... then yesterday i turned my laptop on opened itunes and NONE of the playlists were shown, it had all the default 'Recently played' etc playlists but none of the ones i created were there!!! i created 2 random playlists and added songs and that seemed fine, i looked up the internet with instructions about moving the iTunes.xml and library file out and going to import the files again BUT it only shows the playlists i just created not my previous ones.. i connected my ipod, playlists are still there and the sync option was unchecked for some reason. when i click to sync again it asks to delete all songs but i wouldnt do that.. now i just ticked managing my music manually.... WHY IS THIS HAPPENING???.. AND THIS IS THE THIRD TIME.. IM GETTING TIRED OF THIS!!

Anyone got a permanent solution coz i have tried most of this and i have to be missing something....

Am getting tired of this sh*t Apple, hurry and solve this!!

Cheers

Recovering lost music from Ipod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.