Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4 appears not to receive chapter markers sent from FCP

I use FCP to edit my personal videos. When doing so I set chapter markers and poster frames which then appear in all the rendered output files that DO NOT use Compressor as the destination.

The destinations that do show the chapters are: Apple devices sent to the iTunes Library; DVD; RedDisk (BD with DVD) and mp4 files.

But, for the ones I send to Compressor 4, the files appears in the Compressor setup pages, but the markers are gone. I then need to reenter them.

Once reentered, they appear in the output.

Since I publish these videos in multiple formats this redundant activity is both error prone and unnecessary.

Is there some way to avoid this problem?

Any assistance si, as always appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

MacBook Pro, Other OS, iPhone 5, Yosemite APExtreme

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 5:01 AM

9 replies

Jul 19, 2015 5:28 AM in response to bholtzkener

I have recently done a lot of testing for others on makers when Send to Compressor is used. The reason I asked about the distinction was that poster frames are suspect but I've not had any problems with chapter makers. That's with a variety of Final Cut project settings.

Are the versions of Compressor and FCP X updated to the most recent versions?

Russ

Jul 19, 2015 7:26 AM in response to bholtzkener

If you have an m4v, that indicates a file that was previously exported.If that file is imported into Compressor, the chapter markers will be lost,

Because you referred to "send to Compressor" I assumed you were using that method to input your movie to Compressor. If you want those markers to travel you need to use Share>Send to Compressor or Share>Compressor Settings.

Jul 19, 2015 7:35 AM in response to Russ H

I'll give that a try.

However I feel that files produced by apple products (FCP) that cannot be properly read by apple products (compressor) is a problem that apple should deal with.

FWIW I have submitted my problem as a bug to Apple (compressor).

BTW, although Apple never did like to promote DVD media, Compressor seems to be the only way to render a reasonable copy via .mp2. The DVD output FCP is really poor.

Thanks for your time

Jul 19, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Russ H

ok, the ProRes export sort of worked. the markers with text were there but the poster frames were not, at least as displayed by the Apple DVD player.

So do you think this means that FCP is not producing the proper files when not using share?

Anyway thanks again.

(I'll need to buy a new HD to do this 30 min video in ProRes.)

Right now I'm checking to see if I can tell the difference exploring in higher res format.

Thanks

Barry

Compressor 4 appears not to receive chapter markers sent from FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.