Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Video Card Dead?

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 and installed a GTX 670 2 GB card and related drivers. Been working fine for months. Then it locked up…beach ball that would not go away…and I force quite. Now the computer starts, but sends no signal to the external monitor. Does this mean the video card is dead? It does generate more heat that the stock card and that and some hot weather might have fried it? I do get a gray screen when I restart with Shift held down, but nothing else.

Mac Pro, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 8:08 AM

15 replies

Jul 19, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Deke2

Do you have another bootable drive? the original video card? Is this one flashed? does not sound like it is or was.

Some thing slot #2 (which will block slot #3 also) has better air flow. do you even have iStatPro or something to monitor temperatures? even if it does not report the GPU.

What OS version?

Normally a lock up means the boot drive needs you to use Recovery Mode or another boot drive, or even restore from or use a backup clone.

Did it present video during early boot up before? if not, that is normal for a PC only card that is not flashed until the drivers load, and the drivers for yours may not load during Safe boot.

FAQ PC (unflashed) cards

Jul 19, 2015 8:34 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the help. I'm new to the whole video card world. This is a PC card and I installed the drivers for it. It did not have the usual Mac start up graphics as it is a PC card--I take it that means it is not "flashed"? I do have the original card and can install that but that does involved unplugging the GTX 670 so I don't believe I could test it. It was installed in the lower two slots…perhaps I should have put it in the upper slots? I'm running Yosemite. Can I boot from a time machine drive?

Jul 19, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Deke2

Okay so I let it cool down a while an restarted for the upteenth time and it is now working. But to prevent this in the future, should I mount the GTX in an upper slot? Are there ways to monitor the card's health and temp? I'm doing some animation rendering and perhaps I need to shut the computer down periodically so as not to stress the card again.

Jul 19, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Deke2

As Linc Davis points out, it could be coated with dust. I'm sure not all video card construction is the same, but since the fan on yours is at the end opposite the back of the Mac, it's likely blowing air through the long portion and out the back to cool it. Inside are heatsinks, sometime tubes, that the air travels through as it heads to the rear, taking the heat with it. It's possible that those tubes are being clogged with dust.

One solution is to use canned air with a flexible nozzle inserted between the fan blades and pointed to the rear to blow the dust out. If the tubes are arrayed like organ pipes, you can move the nozzle along the rear arc of the fan's opening and watch the dust blow out the back. I did this yesterday to an ATI 5870 for the second time in 4+ years while changing a CalDigit PCIe card and a lot of dust was blown out. Since most air can nozzles aren't overly flexible, I attached some lawnmower fuel line with a 3/32" ID (from Home Depot) to reach in without harming anything and with enough of the tubing, the air can can be kept straight up. Just don't shake the can first. 😉

Jul 19, 2015 10:49 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks. I"m re-installing the card in an upper slot so there is more air flow around it. But it doesn't seem to fire up the monitor now in that upper slot. The fan is moving fine. I also notice when I'm forcing quitting by pressing the front button that it instantly goes off. There isn't the typical few seconds of holding before the machine shuts off.

Jul 19, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Deke2

So after letting the machine cool down it did work with the monitor again. And I installed stat. I don't see a listing for temp for the GUP or even listed as a PCI slot. The PCI 2 where I now have the card does show .93 A…I assume amps? Something called the MCH Die Offset register 146 degrees. Something called AMB IC on FBDIMM in Riser A registers a whopping 171 degrees.

Is my Video Card Dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.