Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes.app - Is it possible to have them both on an account of choice and "On My Mac"?

Hi 🙂 Several days ago I got my first Apple computer (MacBook Pro), but I've been using iPhone and iPad for a few years. Can you tell me if I can use Notes.app both with an account of choice and "On My Mac" only? I can't find the answer - the Internet seems to ask about how to sync notes between devices. The situation with my devices is pretty strange: iPad retina is the only one that gives me a choice of selecting On My iPad (as a default account for example). This option vanished also from my iPhone. What's going on and is it possible to change it? Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 13-inch Early 2015

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 7:20 AM

4 replies

Jul 19, 2015 8:00 AM in response to Reluctant Star

The On My Mac category is inaccessible if you store notes on one or more network servers, such as iCloud, and there are none stored locally.

In the Internet Accounts preference pane, disable all Notes synchronization by unchecking the corresponding box in all mail accounts with which you now sync. The data should be retained on the servers, but it would be wise to back it up anyway by following the instructions in this support article.

Quit and relaunch Notes. The database will be empty. Create a new note. From the View menu, select

Show Folders List

if the list isn't already showing. You should now see On My Mac. Re-enable synchronization. Relaunch Notes again. Your synced notes should reappear.

Notes.app - Is it possible to have them both on an account of choice and "On My Mac"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.