Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable scrolling only on mousedown?

Can I set my Magic Mouse to have scrolling disabled only on mousedown?

Using my index finger, if I click and hold a section of text that I want to copy, the slightest movement of my middle finger will induce scrolling. Consequently, more text is highlighted than intended. I want to retain the scrolling feature during mouseup, but free myself from having to lift my middle finger or keep it perfectly still during mousedown. How can I set this up?

I have all gestures disabled in the Mouse preference pane, including the secondary click function. Scrolling is enabled in the Mouse Options within the Accessibility pane.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 12:48 PM

4 replies

Dec 17, 2017 5:24 PM in response to whatthehalp

Here's the final bump from me. Just remembered this topic, but was fuzzy on whether I had landed on any closure. I'll have to let this remain open-ended for the Magic Mouse, due to my graduation to the Magic Trackpad 2 on OS X version 10.11.6. Despite having its own quirks, I'm happy to report that this device has more than ameliorated the frustration I had experienced with the Magic Mouse. FWIW... Take care, reader. Mods, thanks for keeping the thread open, since I don't have a definitive answer pertaining to the original question.

Disable scrolling only on mousedown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.