Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Macbook Pro wont recognize new SSD, or even the old HDD now! Folder/question mark flashing.

Hello everyone,

Found myself in a bit of a pickle. I have a late 2011 13" macbook pro, and I decided to speed it up by installing a crucial mx100 SSD I just bought.

However, now my mac starts up with a flashing folder and question mark. These are the steps I have done before/after

1. Swapped drives

2. Booted from USB that has Yosemite

3. Opened disk utility, erased the crucial SSD and reformatted to Mac os extended journaled.....

4. Used the time machine option to install everything like it was before

5. Everything worked! All my old files were there, i was browsing the internet and looking at photos. The ssd was working fast and great

6. Few hours later, screen froze.

7. Rebooted the macbook, was faced with a flashing folder/question mark.

8. Reset the Pram, nothing happened.

9. Opened disk utility, the SSD is not showing up

10. Swapped out the SSD for the old HDD that came with the mac.

11. Still shows flashing folder and question mark.

12. Opened disk utility again, and the old HDD is not showing up!

13. Tried to boot into apple diagnostics by holding D, doesnt work and continues to folder/ question mark.

14. Please dont tell me my hardware failed!!!

Any ideas what the issue could be? My applecare ran out in November.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 12:51 PM

If the drives are installed properly but are not recognized, then check the ribbon cable between the drive connector and the motherboard. Either it is not inserted correctly or it needs to be replaced.

3 replies

Jul 19, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Kappy

The beast has woken!

Thanks Kappy > loose ribbon cable.

On a side note, upon inspection of the open board (logic or motherboard?) I noticed a small rectangle area with this black tar like surface (1cm by 1.5cm). Is this normal? Im inclined to think so since it almost looks like a perfect rectangle, maybe its some sort of thermal paste? Its the only spot with it.

Thanks again!

2011 Macbook Pro wont recognize new SSD, or even the old HDD now! Folder/question mark flashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.