Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Iphone videos on iDVD

I'm using videos from my iphone and from sony camera to make DVDs. When watching the DVDs on my computer and on the TV, The chapters taken with the sony camera turned out great, but the chapters I shot with my iphone are all distorted. They are stretched and everything looks longer than it should. I tried setting it up under wide screen and under standard before burning it but either way the Iphone videos are distorted. Please advise! I already went to the apple store and called however they no longer "service" iDVD so I was not able to get help. Must be something with my settings? I'm running a Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks much!!!!

MacBook

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 2:06 PM

3 replies

Jul 19, 2015 3:39 PM in response to caitlinfromgolden

Is it that the iPhone videos are stretched, distorted or just that some parts are cut off and are not on screen?

If it's the latter as a test create a slideshow and put one of the iPhone video files in it. Set the duration to anything but manual. In iDVD's Slideshow preference pane check the checkbox "Always scale slides to TV Safe Area"

User uploaded file

This will assure that the entire video is on screen and, if not in the 4:3 size ratio will be shadowboxed on the screen.

User uploaded file

Jul 20, 2015 8:27 AM in response to caitlinfromgolden

Have you tried opening the video with Quicktime Player and then exporting at 480p to a new file. Try the new file in a new iDVD project.

Note: there's a bug in iDVD that if any media has been edited after being initially imported into the project there will be encoding problems encountered. So if you do edit any media after it's been imported into the project create a new project and add the media again.

Does the distortion show in the preview in iDVD or do you have to save as a disk image or burn to disk before it appears distorted?

When you test different solutions the following will help you troubleshoot without having to burn disks and create coasters:

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Using Iphone videos on iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.