Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preview data transfer interrupted

i guess i can add this to the ever growing list of problems with iba 2.3.

i have had more problems in the last week with iba than i have had since the first release was made available.

my current theory is that i died and went to ****.

ibook author 2.3-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 3:42 PM

15 replies

Jun 14, 2017 8:59 AM in response to richard the old

I have grappled with this issue for some time now and I think it has to do with image files and their proximity to each other on a page (at least in my case)! When I change the image file types and/or their proximity to each other on a page, the problem disappears.

I haven't as yet discovered which image file types or proximities cause the problem, but changing them solves the problem for me. What I simply did to obtain what I wanted (images close to each other!) was to select all the images, copy them to the clipboard, and on the software "Preview" on mac, go to "File" and then "New from clipboard". I then created a png file from the grouped images and pasted them right back into ibooks author. Problem solved! Hope it helps.

Jul 27, 2015 11:29 AM in response to richard the old

I have this problem as well, but I found that after I get the message on the iPad and I hit OK the progress bar seems to get stuck. I then force quit the iPad (turn off). Then I turn the iPad back on, and voilá: there is the Proof book in iBooks. I checked them out and they seem to be totally ok. I hope that they fix this bug soon, though. Edgar

Jul 29, 2015 4:10 PM in response to richard the old

i opened this as a problem today with apple and will be sending them some documentation. i tried to solve it but got nowhere other than thinking it has something to do with audio, gif and perhaps movies in keynote files with keynote v 5.3 original content converted by v6.5.3 of keynote.

1. i could not create the problem if i started with v6.5.3 keynote + most recent versions of os, iOS, and iba.

2. only when v 5.3 (keynote 09) somehow being introduced into the mix (either as the original content or exported to that format from v6 keynote.

3. in fact, after getting the problem, i immediately ran a preview to the mac. it worked, where same to iPad failed with preview data transfer interrupted. iOS problem?

i have abandoned v5.3 of keynote as it is useless to open up a 5.3 file containing audio, gifs and probably movies with keynote 6.5.3. equally useless to export to keynote 09 from v6.5.3 in order to avoid the can't loop audio or gifs. equally useless to use 5.3 into the new iba and new iOS. too many problems.

Jul 29, 2015 5:00 PM in response to Pauli D

i can't say whether the problem exists if one does not use keynote. i use plenty of keynotes, hundreds in fact.

i could not create the problem starting with the latest keynote, with or without audios, gifs and movies, but then again i have not extensively used the latest keynote since i just finished a book using keynote 5.3 (keynote 09) with plenty of audio, gifs. i've concentrated mostly on the audio. using gifs in v6.5.3 in an iba keynote widget i don't think that works either. i could not create the problem using just graphics and a keynote 5.3 created file, now opened with v6.5.3. perhaps because it finds no gifs to convert to .mov.

open such a version 5.3 file and your preview fail problems start happening when you incorporate at least two keynote widgets into your iba (and maybe just one, but with one i got it to work). the problem is made worse by the fact that the combination of v5.3 and iba v2.2, although it worked fine, it changed the audio file suffixes to .mov, making a mess of the 5.3 files, particularly as you now try to place them into a widget with v 6 and iba 2.3.

use export to keynote 09 in keynote v6.5.3 to get around the lack of looping and you will also have the problem.

there are so many things that don't work here that it is confusing to keep track of them all. you probably be right just to say it doesn't work.

does not occur if you immediately preview same iba to mac.

Aug 3, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Pauli D

i have now recreated this problem starting just from the newest of softwares (keynote, iba). and the simplest of ibooks (just a couple of pages in the keynote file and a practical minimum of pages in the ibook file), i had previously thought that this problem arose as a result of using audio files and gifs in the keynote 09 created and subsequently used in iba 2.2 widgets. but i was able to recreate test cases starting with the newest of softwares.

i could ramble about all the test cases that i did create and did not work, but i didn't write down anything so i can't say it would be 100% accurate. so i will keep this at a very high level so that most everything is accurate. these inaccuracies are called senior moments and yes,, if you live long enough you too will experience them.

1. i don't use iba pages to contain my content. as a result i did very little testing using iba with no keynotes, but i did drag and drop audio files onto the iba page. i did not experience any data preview interrupted error messages. but my testing was very limited as as iba pages containing my content that cannot be manipulated in a keynote fashion are useless to me.

2. preview under many different scenarios that contain at least two keynote widgets most often fails and is frustrating and unworkable. results using the same files are not always reproducible, leading me to wonder if this is a multitasking problem somewhere in the iOS. i have now lost a month stuck in this rut. my advice to you: if you are experiencing this problem often, abandon preview to the iOS device. preview to the mac instead. i switched and am now on the road to recovery.

Aug 3, 2015 1:25 PM in response to richard the old

i did not want to ramble about the make up of my small test cases, but one is particular is notable for it's strangeness. the .ibooks file created on the iPad varies considerable in appearance after one of these preview data transfer interrupted messages. it always happens near the end of the preview progress bar. your book can look normal in some cases as if it does not contain any noticeable errors. but who can trust what might be lurking inside of it. given the low rate of success i have on preview, what matter does it make. i just don't trust it. on the other extreme you get some very weird looking books as you page thru them, only one of which i will attempt to explain as it is one of the strangest errors i ever saw. i had seen this exact error before, but never looked that close at it. when i did, i nearly laughed myself to death not having taken my blood pressure meds lately.

senario: all most recent software used. an iba test case with only a few pages; one chapter page, two section pages. each section page containing just one data page. two different keynote files (preference box for iOS optimization checked), both created with the latest keynote but exported to keynote 09 with the file export command (this is being done at the suggestion of apple in order to be able to use audio repeat that is set on an audio file within keynote). both keynotes have original .mp3 or .wav of .aiff audio files, all play well in native keynote (and these two files worked in keynote 09, iba 2.2 and ibooks on a previous iOS release, prior to all my software upgrades).

the first data page in the first section: created a keynote widget with interaction full screen checked. dropped first keynote into widget.

now if i preview this, it would likely work.

but now i drop the second keynote file into the first data page in section 2 of chapter one. same type of widget.

preview this to iPad: obtain preview data transfer interrupted.

preview this to mac, immediately thereafter: everything worked fine.

but here is the thing that was quite strange and why i say you should abandon preview if you are regularly getting these messages. after eventually rebooting my iPad to get out of the hung app, i looked at the .ibook file to see what state it was in. on page 24 of the second keynote (in second section), the page was like a werewolf. some of it was from page 24 of the native second keynote file, but intermingled with page 24 of the first native keynote file. i had seen this intermingling before but never looked that closely and thought it was getting two slides intermingled in the same keynote in the ibook. on close inspection this time, i saw that the intermingling was from two separate keynote files.

the only time i have ever seen anything like this was during my prior existence on earth, when i faked being a programmer in a large mainframe environment. stage results like this could happen in a multiprocessing environment when insufficient serialization was taken. of course, that is likely to mean nothing here.

Not even Ripley would believe this, for those of you who are old enough to have met him.

i have a case number for this problem and will reply to it soon. i don't know how interested apple is in fixing this problem or if they are playing their hand close to their vest and already know the problem but won't admit to it. since i have a suitable work around to all my problems using the latest software, i have to go full team ahead. in the beginning of july i was on target of getting this book done before the end of july. i lost an entire month. i now have to work extra hard to finish it by the end of august, which might be in doubt given that i now have a lot of adjustments to make in order to work around the three main problems with the new software, all of which i have discussed on this board/

Aug 3, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Pauli D

my experience has been if i have just one of these files in my iba, it works. i can't say i ever got it to fail with one file. but two files usually fails. once i got two files working, then added a third. fails.

i am starting to speculate it is a timing issue and the more of the type of files which cause this the more likely you will get interrupted message.

preview data transfer interrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.