Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

message won't connect with mac user on other end for screen sharing

Recently my messages app on my macbook won't allow me to connect with my friend on the other end whom I used to screen share with often in order to help them trouble shoot things on their computer. We both recently upgraded each computer to mountain lion in hopes that would cure the issue but we keep getting error messages saying the other user can't connect. please help!!!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 5:39 PM

From the Messages menu bar, select

Video Connection Doctor

In the window that opens, select

Show: Capabilities

There should be a checkmark on the line with the words "1-on-1 video chat." Select

Show: Network Status

You should have two green dots.

Make sure that you and the other party meet the applicable requirements shown in these support articles:

Share your screen

Requirements for audio chats, video chats, and screen sharing

See also:

Fix video chat issues

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2015 5:39 PM in response to mrcarl13

From the Messages menu bar, select

Video Connection Doctor

In the window that opens, select

Show: Capabilities

There should be a checkmark on the line with the words "1-on-1 video chat." Select

Show: Network Status

You should have two green dots.

Make sure that you and the other party meet the applicable requirements shown in these support articles:

Share your screen

Requirements for audio chats, video chats, and screen sharing

See also:

Fix video chat issues

Jul 20, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you this was very helpful. I've contacted my service provider and they claimed to have "opened all the ports" however I am still unable to connect through message. I can video conference through AIM and even connect via FaceTime however I'm attempting to share my screen with others and in doing that there is connectivity issue.

Jul 26, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

thanks for responding... I did not know you had done so and just happened to come back to the board today to state again that I had to contact cable provider again and am 100% sure the ports are all open and I have two green lights as does my friend. The short answer to your question is we only attempt to share each others computer. We both have the green lights and can talk in other ways but for some reason we can't video or screen share still. Totally baffling at this point and such a head ache!

message won't connect with mac user on other end for screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.