Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Stealth Mode?

I recently bought the new 6th generation Airport Extreme 802.11ac router. After setting it up, and securing it as best I know how, I ran GRC's "Shields Up" test against it, and found that it failed the TrueStealth test. Most ports report closed (but present) with only three of them reporting stealth. I seem to recall that with older AX's in the past I've been able to achieve stealth, but I cannot seem to find any settings in Airport Utility that will do this now. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 7:56 PM

2 replies

Oct 5, 2015 10:57 AM in response to csk

This is a few months later, but... first, to answer the question: I don't know of a way to force the ports on the Extreme into stealth mode.

Next: Airport Extreme has not stealthed ports in a very long time. A search can find articles as far back as 2007 discussing this situation (and I have had AXs since that long ago, and can confirm this to be the case).

However... stealthing ports is like hiding one's wi-fi SSID: it IS another possible security action, but it IS NOT an absolute need. Some of the articles you might find in your search above state that disclosing ports is a standard in Internet specs. Either way, making sure that the ports are protected is most important, just as using the best (WPA-2) security with a strong password is most important for protecting your wi-fi network.

As long as your ShieldsUp! report shows no open ports, you should be fine. Just make sure to check from time to time - especially if you reconfigure the router, apply a firmware update, or make other changes to your network - to ensure that your ports remain closed to any connections you haven't specifically opened (such as port 80 for a publicly-available web site).

Airport Extreme Stealth Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.