Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Restore" application on iPhone 6+

Hello,

I have an iPhone 6+, 128 GB iOS 8.4 and Apple Watch paired and both are working fine. One day I woke to find that the iPhone was hot, the screen was on but did not show anything. I could not restart the phone or open it. After about five minutes of trying I finally restarted the phone. The following two days I found my battery was providing about 10 hours of service. I went to Apple and they could not determine what the problem was and exchanged the phone for a new one.

Two days after the new phone I woke with the phone hot and unable to restart or open it again. Just as in the first instance with a brand new phone. Subsequently experienced the same battery performance.

I did notice in my battery settings on the first phone an app called "Restore" that took over 80% of the battery life. In this current phone I am finding this same app, "Restore" is taking large percentages of my battery life. I think that "Restore" has something to do with the Apple Watch as I can not find anything about it on the iPhone.

If I charge the new phone and restart it when I take it off the charger I can get two days of battery life. If I don't "Restore" comes into play and uses my battery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Apple Watch, iPhone 6+

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 10:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2015 12:00 PM in response to pdcincan

Update

I continue to intermittently wake up with a very warm phone. I am unable to open or shut down the phone for several minutes. When I finally do restart the phone, everything is generally fine. This is happening approximately once per week. At some points during the week I am getting phenomenal battery performance. Other times the app "Restore" is present as the application that takes the most battery power. Upwards of 80 - 90% on some days. Other days it doesn't show and I have good battery performance.

Other than these characteristics the iPhone 6+ is working fine and the Apple Watch is working fine.

Thanks

Paul.

Aug 12, 2015 12:26 PM in response to pdcincan

Update

The first charge of the iPhone did not create the situation above.

After the second charge there was no initial difficulty. However, on the second day of use I woke unable to open or shut down the iPhone once again. After about five minutes of trying I was finally able to restart the iPhone and noted that it has used about 50% of the charge overnight.

There are two "Restore" applications it seems. One is called "Restore" and the other is "Restore Apple Watch."

I think this might be an Apple Watch issue, and based on Brian's advice will talk to the Apple store.

Thanks

Paul

Aug 30, 2015 11:31 AM in response to pdcincan

Update

This is a follow up based on Brian's recommendation to go to Apple Genius Bar, that visit and the passage of some time.

Since last update I have still been getting poor battery performance due to the restore application consuming large percentages of the battery.

On Wednesday August 20, 2015 my iPhone and watch became unsynced as a result of the distance between them. Attempts to resynch the phone and watch were unsuccessful. Eventually had to reset the watch. Backed the watch up from the most recent backup. All was working except for the inability to download any music to the watch and of course the restore difficulties on the phone.

On Saturday August 23, 2015 went to the Apple Store to discuss the issues. Diagnostics on the phone showed the (I think) springboard and another class were corrupted. The Apple Representative said I would need to restore the phone, not form the backup though, but from the base and then I would have to recreate the phone in terms of applications and data manually. This was not something that I was willing to do. And we agreed to let it be for the time being and see if the situation was rectified in the upgrade to ios 9.0 in September.

We did however restore the watch, which reported no issues on the diagnostics. And did not back it up from the backup but from the base as if it were a new watch. This was ok as the watch is dependent on apps from the phone. And the phone updated those apps on the watch immediately. And most of the data for those apps is stored on the phone so not much of anything is lost in this process.

I did not however get back the ability to download music to the watch. It continues to report that it is synching or pending synch.

What is interesting is that on about Tuesday or Wednesday of August 27, 2015 I had to restart my phone. And it has been since that time that I have had absolutely no difficulties with it whatsoever. The battery usage is phenomenal and the restore application doesn't show up at all in the current battery usage. The bad data that was causing those classes to run out of control must have been present in the watch and the reset took care of that data.

The only issue left is the ability to download the music which will require another visit to the Apple Store.

Sep 20, 2016 5:01 PM in response to pdcincan

Hi pdcincan, I had this question too and I fiddled around in settings for a bit and discovered something that Ithink will solve the problem you had. In settings, go to iCloud and around the bottom (for me at least) it said restore was on, I would click on it but it would not let me turn restore off. I clicked on the learn more link and went back to settings and then suddenly there was an option for me to turn of restore. I clicked it, it didn't do anything, so I totally closed out of settings and then went back and then the slider button gave me the option to turn off restore. I just did this so I'm not 100% it is fixed but it seems like it worked 🙂 Hope this helped!

"Restore" application on iPhone 6+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.