Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud downloads well on my ipad but not on my macbook air yosemite 10.10.4, finder shows the iCloud phototeque with 180 GB, but there are only three elements in it! Haven't got a clue of what's going on. Has somebody any idea?

iCloud downloads well on my ipad but not on my macbook air yosemite 10.10.4. Finder shows the iCloud phototeque with 180 GB, but there are only three elements in it! iCloud is activated. Haven't got a clue of what's going on. Has somebody any idea?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 11:04 PM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2015 11:23 PM in response to noëlfrommarseille

Finder shows the iCloud phototeque with 180 GB, but there are only three elements in it! iCloud is activated.

Are you sure, that Photos is using the same Photos Library as you are looking at in the Finder. Open Photos and look at the Preferences panel:

Photos > Preferences > General

This will show the location of your Photos Library, when you click the "Show in Finder" button.

User uploaded file

If it is using a different Photos library, quit Photos and drag the library you want to open to the Photos icon in the Dock to switch to the correct library.

If Photos does not open the Library, but switches back to an empty library, tell us more about the library. Where is it located? Is it on a supported drive?

Photos will not open the library on a Time Machine drive or if there are permission problems.

Jul 20, 2015 12:20 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

It is the same library. The library is stored on an external drive, "my passport pro" of WD which I bought a week ago. I transfered the library from the computer to the drive. I made it my system library and the pictures and videos were sent to icloud. I can get them without problem from my ipad. And I could get them also from the computer. But then something happened. I found myself with one photo in the library instead of 35.000. So, before the weekend I reactivated icloud with one change: I clicked "Download the originals on this mac" instead of "optimize the storage of the mac". When I came back from the weekend my library had ONE photo more coming from the cloud or maybe from the computer, which make a total of two photos, plus one video which I had shot during the weekend, and was still showing 180 GB in the finder!!!! In the "About my mac" under the apple it showed on the drive 198 GO of photos without entering into the detail of what belonged to the system library and what belonged to other libraries. Figures are coherent.

Re the Time machine issue, "my passport pro" drive is selected as the time machine recipient, along with another drive. But I had it switched off during the weekend.

To sum up, 1/ I have no access to the 180 GO of photos stored in my mac, and the fact that one new photo appeared in the library in a span of 48 hours, not knowing if it comes from the cloud or from the computer, doesn't change the problem 2/ my system lib is recognized by icloud at least for new pictures . This being said, I am totally stuck....

Jul 20, 2015 3:39 AM in response to noëlfrommarseille

Is your WD drive directly connected by USB or another wired connection? Or remotely mounted?

I am skeptical abut the Time Machine issue. On a volume that is used by Time Machine, you cannot enable the flag "Ignore Ownership on this volume" and then you may have problems with permissions in the internal database files. The "Sharing&Permissions" section of the Info panel for your external drive should look like in this screenshot this - as shown to the left:User uploaded file

On a Time Machine volume this flag will be missing. I could never get Photos to migrate an iPhoto Library or Aperture library, when the library was on a TimeMachine drive. It was always hanging for days at 3% completed, and if I copied a library there I could open it and browse it, but any edits could not be saved and required to repair the library.

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2015 5:29 AM in response to noëlfrommarseille

Unfortunately I removed the drive from Time Machine preferences, and I still can't have the flag. May I know what you did to have it back?

I used a different drive. Or you could reformat the drive with Disk Utility, but that will erase all your data, so you will have to save all documents and data somewhere else temporarily.

Formatting a drive to be used with photo libraries is described here: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

You will need two external drives anyway - one for your photo libraries and other data, and one to be used with Time Machine or other backup software to keep backups.

iCloud downloads well on my ipad but not on my macbook air yosemite 10.10.4, finder shows the iCloud phototeque with 180 GB, but there are only three elements in it! Haven't got a clue of what's going on. Has somebody any idea?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.