Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compilation only artists not showing in Artists list / menu

Apple iTunes - Artist display issue.

Since Apple's last destructive update, using my iPad (updated to 8.4) when I look in Artists, I can only see the artists who have their own albums. If they are part of a compilation like Now 67 or whatever, they don't appear under Artists. There is one Artist labelled Various Artists, and all the songs from compilations are under that !!

Now I know I can search for individual songs using spotlight or whatever, but that is a pain - and you can't shuffle all the songs from one artist, regardless of how many albums they appear in.

With the old setup pre Apple Music, you could set this under settings>music>group by album artist>off. Then if you went into Artists, all the artists you had would show up - you would select the artist, and it would show all the albums on which that artist appeared. That option is gone now.

Anyone know if it's possible to fix that?

I have not updated my iPod or iPhone to 8.4 yet, and I can still have artists from compilation albums listed within Artists as before, so if I want to keep that feature, I can't update either of those devices.

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 2:18 AM

10 replies

Jul 22, 2015 5:57 AM in response to hot_rod_57

Apple don't have a solution either - the only difference is, they aren't actually looking for one, because all they care about at the moment is Apple Music, and getting subscriptions.

The day I move to Amazon Music is coming fast. Once I go down that road, I won't be coming back - iTunes / iTunes Match connectivity between iCloud, iPod, iPad, my Mac, Apple TV etc are the reason I have all Apple stuff. If that isn't going to work properly then to **** with it - I can use Amazon music on anything, which leaves me free to try some of Samsung's hardware.

Aug 31, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Mark Lawless

I had this problem years ago- I have 25k songs on a 160gb iPod, here was my fix: I made a playlist of compilations, highlighted everything in the list, conducted a batch info change- unchecked the 'compilation' box and everything became visible in the individual artist folders. I would check the 'compilation' list every time I could not find something I loaded to make sure it wasn't checked as a 'comp' and fix the issue. The idea was to keep that folder empty at all times. When I wanted to listen to a comp I found it in the albums folder to listen to it. This is also a pain, but better than searching the comps folder for my songs.

Eventually, Apple came out with an update that repaired the problem. So I started plowing through my list to rename comps so they would show up in the comp folder as well. Something happened to un-do that and we're back to where we came from.

I'm an Apple purist and I'll be checking out Amazon myself. This is disrespectful to the people who made Apple and iTunes what it is.

John.

Mar 12, 2016 4:15 AM in response to Mark Lawless

I managed to solve the problem unchecking the option "Group Compilations" that appears in the view options. The view options are displayed with the Menu that appears in the right corner of the application (Mac version).

Of course after unchecking the option the Compilations are not grouped in Songs, Artists, Albums, etc. But I prefer this than not seeing the artists by themselves.

See attached image for a reference.

Hope this helps.

User uploaded file

Compilation only artists not showing in Artists list / menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.