Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new, mid 2015 Macbook pro with duall GPU warms up with external monitor connected?

I have an external monitor connected to my 15" Macbook Pro with the Radeon R9 M370X videochip in it. Whenever I run it the temperature runs around 42-45 degree when Idle. Connecting an external monitor through HDMI boosts the temperature to 52-55 degrees. I am only doing some simple office work. Nothing fancy. Disconnecting the monitor or going to clamshell mode, makes the temperature drop again. I never had this happen in my older Macbook Pro with Nvidia GPU. Is this in anyway harmfull for the hardware? Or normal behaviour?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Amd Radeon R9 M370X

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 12:26 PM

The temperature levels that you are reporting are well withing acceptable limits. As I respond to you, my 17" MBP is showing 57°c CPU temperature with nothing but a modem connected.

Ciao.

6 replies

Jul 20, 2015 12:37 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanx for your reply. I'm aware that the temperature is well within the specs. I was just wondering if anyone else with the same system is seeing this raise in temperature solely because an external monitor is connected (by hdmi). As stated in my question, Im seeing a raise in temperature from 44 degrees celcius to 52 degrees celcius when I connect my external HD monitor.

Aug 3, 2015 12:20 AM in response to ShinyguyTW

I use smcfancontrol to view the cpu temperature which is the temperature ive mentioned above. I use an tool called Hardware Monitor, which has been written by Marcel Bresink, to view the temperatures. The free version of this tool only reports the temperatures. But the GUI version says it doesnt support this macbook. In the app package is a commandline utillity which is called hwmonitor. If you run this from the shell it will generate the following output with all the temperatures you want. I made an automator workflow to view this output in a messagebox. Hope this is helpful.

SMART Disk APPLE SSD SM0512G (S2*********1): 30 C

SMC BATTERY: 28 C

SMC BATTERY CHARGER PROXIMITY: 42 C

SMC BATTERY POSITION 2: 28 C

SMC BATTERY POSITION 3: 27 C

SMC BATTERY POSITION Y: 28 C

SMC CPU A PROXIMITY: 47 C

SMC CPU X PROXIMITY: 56 C

SMC GPU 1 CHIP: 52 C

SMC GPU DIODE: 54 C

SMC LEFT PALM REST: 26 C

SMC MAIN HEAT SINK 2: 41 C

SMC MAIN HEAT SINK 3: 49 C

SMC PLATFORM CONTROLLER HUB: 42 C

SMC RIGHT PALM REST: 25 C

SMC WLAN CARD: 38 C

Smart Battery bq20z451 (1): 24 C

Aug 3, 2015 12:31 AM in response to RoberthasaMacbook

User uploaded fileDear Robert

Thank you so much for such prompt and detail reply. I've tried this tool in terminal and found that the two GPU readings(chip and diode) might be from INTEL IRIS PRO rather than from M370X, because I cross-checked with numbers from "TG pro" as attached image, that those 2 numbers are listed in the INTEL Iris Pro, not M370X. It's strange that a dedicated graphic card do not report temperature....

Aug 3, 2015 12:39 AM in response to ShinyguyTW

Thanx for your reply. Could be because the macbook model is still new, that it is not yet fully embedded in these software tools. My main question was regarding the cpu, and overall, temperature in my macbook. I noticed the increase of about 8 or 9 degrees in my cpu temperature as a result of simply attaching an external monitor. I was wondering if this is normal behavior for the amd/intel combination as my previous model (with an nvidia chip in it) hardly had any temperature increase when attaching a second monitor. That made me investigate further. The conclusion was that attaching the second monitor makes the AMD gpu wake up and the increase in temperature starts. Not only the GPU, but also other components like the cpu and even the power adapter. I was just wondering if this is normal behavior.

My new, mid 2015 Macbook pro with duall GPU warms up with external monitor connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.