Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 27-inch i7 mid 2011 iMac that I use pretty heavily for graphics and music. I always update the system software so I believe it should be on 10.10.4. About six weeks ago while working on a indesign document the screen went black… I thought

I have a 27-inch i7 mid 2011 iMac that I use pretty heavily for graphics and music. I always update the system software so I believe it should be on os 10.10.4. About six weeks ago while working on a indesign document the screen went black… I thought it was some kind of crash, but when I tried to reboot it got stuck around one third of the way through the boot screen, then restarted and it has continued to be stuck in this loop. when I try to boot from external drives it gives me the option to choose the drive, and then continues into the hanging boot. I have run single user and run fsck -fy. it says everything is okay. I used the apple online hardware test… 3.5 hours on extensive mode and it says the hardware is okay. It also has 32 gigs of ram that I put in right after I bought it… I took that out and replaced in with the original ram it came with, no change in results. Anyone have any ideas?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), i7

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 7:19 AM

8 replies

Jul 20, 2015 7:57 AM in response to weebejammin

Restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + C) and open Disk Utility, run Verify Disk, if errors appear run it 2-3 more times. Next run Repair Disk, if errors appear after the 2-3 times then your HD likely needs to be replaced. If it checks out okay, you should probably take it in for service.

Also when running Apple's hardware test there are two things to keep in mind. First is ALWAYS run in extended mode and run the test 2-3 times back to back. The reason is AHT does not always find errors after the 1st or 2nd pass, however when it does the errors are correct.

Jul 30, 2015 11:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I did run the extended test four times, it said the hard where was fine. I ordered and ssd drive and I am sure i installed it correctly. I can't get the hard drive to instal or recover. I got an error on internet recovery that was "1005F" from apple support but I can't figure out what that means. there is no info that I can find. I have a bootable firewire and a bootable ssd external. it offers to boot from but it won't complete the boot. my 2010 mac mini will boot from both these external drives.

I have a 27-inch i7 mid 2011 iMac that I use pretty heavily for graphics and music. I always update the system software so I believe it should be on 10.10.4. About six weeks ago while working on a indesign document the screen went black… I thought

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.