Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digitize to match

I now shoot with two cameras. One tape and one card record. I need to digitze my tape footage to match the card footage. Is this possible or do I need to recompress? I've tried recompressing but can't seem to find the correct setting. Here's a screen shot

User uploaded file

The top clip was shot on the card camera. The bottoms clips were shot on tape. Can I digitize in at the same rate as the top camera. I can't seem to find the correct way to set to give me a choice that matches. Or do I need to recompress and how best.

thanks!

Dual 2 GHz Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 9:50 AM

You are not doing anything wrong.

The difference is that HDV records video with a different Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 1.33 than later HD formats which use a PAR of 1, or Square PAR.

This means that HDV displays the video with pixels that are 33% wider to fill the 16:9 frame.

You can use Compressor to batch process your HDV source and convert it to 1920x1080 with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.

You might as well convert it to ProRes at the same time and that should help with the edit, although the files will be substantially larger.

Do a test and once you've got the settings for Compressor you can save them for reuse.

MtD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Michelle LaRock

You are not doing anything wrong.

The difference is that HDV records video with a different Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) of 1.33 than later HD formats which use a PAR of 1, or Square PAR.

This means that HDV displays the video with pixels that are 33% wider to fill the 16:9 frame.

You can use Compressor to batch process your HDV source and convert it to 1920x1080 with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.

You might as well convert it to ProRes at the same time and that should help with the edit, although the files will be substantially larger.

Do a test and once you've got the settings for Compressor you can save them for reuse.

MtD

Digitize to match

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.