Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Can I Do about a Noisy Fan?

On _my_ mind, is "Whirr!" That is, as long-as my iMac is On, the fan makes a whirring sound. How bogus.

My iMac was built in mid-2011, in China. [I felt Amazed at the low price, unlike my previous Macintoshes, which were Made in America. Caution, please: the skeptic in-me thinks, "Could this be the reason to Buy a New iMac from those _same_ Chinese?" I don't like Built-in Obsolescence! :-( ]

What do you think? This board is a Good Place to express my feelings! :-) I thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 4 GB of RAM

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 10:21 AM

Bob, this is a technical forum and not a good place to express your feelings. Please stay on-topic for technical issues.

If your fan is making noise, then reset the SMC using the directions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset. This may require 2-3 attempts. If the fan is still noisy, then it may be failing which would require a visit to your local Apple Store or AASP.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Bob Novy

Bob, this is a technical forum and not a good place to express your feelings. Please stay on-topic for technical issues.

If your fan is making noise, then reset the SMC using the directions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset. This may require 2-3 attempts. If the fan is still noisy, then it may be failing which would require a visit to your local Apple Store or AASP.

Jul 24, 2015 8:28 AM in response to rkaufmann87

What Joy? You wrote in-part, "If your fan is making noise, then reset the SMC using the directions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset. This may require 2-3 attempts. If the fan is still noisy, then it may be failing which would require a visit to your local Apple Store or AASP."

I _reset_ the SMC & PRAM, but the fan still emits a Whirr. :-(

<Edited By Host>

What Can I Do about a Noisy Fan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.