Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" macbook pro install

On a Macbook Pro (13" 2009), 8GB RAM, 160HDD OSX 10.6.8, I've encountered repeated errors so I backed everything up, erased the hard drive, and began to reinstall the OS from the 10.6.3 retail universal installer DVD.

About 1/3 into the installation, the system stops with an error that "The installer has encountered an error and cannot continue."

I tried again with another disk and the same thing happened again. Any suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo, 10GB RAM

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 10:10 AM

2 replies

Jul 22, 2015 1:13 PM in response to James Jepsen

Errors at some stage during the re-install phase usually (but not always) comes down to:

A bad RAM Module or Modules

Hard drive (S.M.A.R.T) is failing. You can still erase the drive if SMART is having a problem.

DVD drive is failing and/or the installer disk is scratched

Eliminate the above and hopefully you may get closer to completing the re-install? Have you tried taking it to your nearest Apple Repair Shop?

13" macbook pro install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.