Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nik plugins suddenly causing aperture to crash

Has anyone had any experience of Nik plugins suddenly causing Aperture to crash?

Just recently, some of the plugins work fine for only 2 or 3 launches, then invariably hang, followed by Aperture quitting. Most of the time the plugin works again on relaunch, for maybe 2 launches, but then crashes again. Nothing has changed in the setup, or the OS, which is otherwise working perfectly.

The plugins giving the problems are as follows:

Analog Efex Pro 2 - 2.0.10

Color Efex Pro 4 - 4.3.22

Silver Efex Pro 2 - 2.2.22

I’m using them on a MacBook Pro running 10.9.5, as a plugin to Aperture 3.5.1. I’ve reinstalled both the complete set of plugins, and Aperture 3.5.1, but with no improvement.

The Nik support team has suggested creating a new user account as a test, although everything else on the MBP is working perfectly.

Anyone had the same thing happen, and found a fix?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 10:44 AM

9 replies

Jul 23, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Ron'squeries

I have been using the plugins this morning (23/7/15) and it looks (so far) like the crashing has stopped, as suddenly as it started.

I checked the installed version numbers, and all 3 of the plugins that were causing problems have been automatically updated.

Analog Efex is now 2.0.12 (from 2.0.10)

Color Efex is now 4.3.24 (from 4.3.22)

Silver Efex is now 2.2.24 (from 2.2.22)

Also HDR Efex (which I don't use) is now 2.2.24 (from 2.2.22)

Does that fix it for you too, Ron?

Jul 25, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Ron'squeries

Hey Ron! I'm having the exact same problem with HDR Efex! We run all of the Nik plug ins on 2 diff iMacs and one system stopped saving back to Aperture 5 days ago and now our 2nd iMac is doing the same as of yesterday. All other plug ins are working fine! I have a support request in with Nik and will be sure to let you all know if they come up with a solution! Very frustrating as I have jobs to get out that I can't complete.

Aug 18, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Chris Chambers

Here's a workaround! Open your images in HDR Efex as you normally would. Click on the settings button and then under the stacking preferences deselect the reimport into aperture setting. This will save the HDR file to another location you select. You can then reimport your image back into Aperture. It's a pain in the butt but it works. Nik support give me this solution and they are currently working to solve the problem!

Sep 18, 2015 11:19 PM in response to citroenDS

Yes I too have problems with just HDR Efex Pro 2. I have the latest version on Aperture 3.6. Seems like this has been an ongoing dog's breakfast for some time with all manner of cobbled work-arounds and so called fixes from disabling the GPU to saving the files manually and re-importing. All very reminiscent of the Windows environment Apple is supposed to let you leave behind. Google / Nik blame Apple, Apple blames Google / Nik. Whatever it is the problems still haven't been fixed in 2-3 years and we are essentially cobbling together fixes for what was, at the time, premium price software from Google / Nik that simply isn't working. If it drags on much longer I'll be asking for a refund.

For those looking, at least on my MBP I've tracked where HDR Pro is saving the files. It's MBP HDD>private>var>folders>0g>ljmn60545 blah blah blah (really long name!!!)>T>com.apple.Aperture

What I've yet to do is try to get to that folder to delete the tiffs that are there but that I can't see in Aperture.

Complete mess really. Other suggestions Google have made to others include re-installing OS X (like THAT'S gonna happen!!), creating a new user account, deleting duplicate fonts! and reinstalling Nik software (as allegedly problems can arise when insulation over old versions. But mine is a fresh install on a new machine.

Truth is with the demise of Aperture (and who knows how much longer is will work with OS X updates) and the dead in the water state of affairs with Nik Software since Google took it over (saw that one coming!) I'm tempted to give up wasting further time on it, move to Capture One Pro then delete and bin Aperture and Nik and write off the loss. One thing for sure I'll NEVER by any Apple software again, even if they should decide to venture once again into the pro market. Even their own Pages and Numbers, second rate alternatives to Word and Excel at their best, have now been dumbed down so much to be IOS friendly that they're basically not worth the disc space even for free.

nik plugins suddenly causing aperture to crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.