Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (2015) 13 base model- erratic/laggy trackpad at random times

I noticed after 2 months of using my macbook, my trackpad would sometimes be uncontrollable. It gets real laggy, and the trackpad cursor just randomly shoots all over the screen, randomly clicking on things.

This has occured even during factory reset install, the cursor became incredibly unusable (this rules out apps)

Heres what I already did to troubleshoot

-performed repair permissions

-did the smc nvpam (or whatever you call it) resets

-ran apple hardware test

-disabled bluetooth

-it becomes erratic even with or without adapter

-it seems to happen randomly, but more so when the computer is underload

-if you close the lid and reopen, it fixes itself for a little bit, before returning after 30min-hour

-cleaned the trackpad itself, blew air cans through it. (never spilled anything on it) never dropped. 2 months old.

-Could the updates have permanently done something?

-I am stumped. Is this part of a performance issue that is common with the new macbooks?

-The cursor first feels like it lags, then jumps all over the screeen, then within a minute it slowly becomes usuable again.

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 1:52 PM

12 replies

Oct 10, 2015 7:30 AM in response to kkel19

I don't know if you have solved your trackpad issue already, but I just want to share my story if it helps anyone.

I FIXED MY MACBOOK PRO WITH A PIECE OF TAPE

I have a macbook pro 2011, and for the past year I have been battling with erratic trackpad also. But today I looked at the bottom of my macbook pro and noticed that one of the black rubber stoppers was missing (it has been missing for a long time), which maybe allowed air and dust to enter into the the hole left by the missing part, WHICH MAY EFFECT TRACKPAD SENSOR. I placed a piece of tape over the hole and my trackpad seems to be working just fine for now. Maybe this is just a fluke.... but worth checking.

Oct 13, 2015 7:45 AM in response to kkel19

Had you solved your problem yet? How?

I have the same problem with a brand new Macbook pro Retina. Frustrated. I don't have time to run all the diagnostics and will just bring the laptop to Apple store. Very disappointed with the new Macbook and the whole computer industry. I got two new laptops in May, one Mac and one PC/Dell, both are suppose to be top of the line, but both have problems just out of the boxes took me long time to troubleshoot. What happens to quality control?

Apr 2, 2016 12:09 PM in response to kkel19

This may sound really odd but I had exactly the same problem. It came from nowhere, called Apple and went through all the usual resets etc.

Never would have guessed but I turned off the Bluetooth and it said "key board dissconnected". Then it twigged, I'd put the separate key board in a cupboard still switched on with something resting on it. That was the problem...hey presto all is good again. Who would have thought it!

May 21, 2016 9:17 AM in response to kkel19

It is same my problem.

1. When I start the Macbook Air 2014 11", the trackpad not working. I can't move the pointer on the screen..

2. When I close the lid and reopen, Oh It work again. But an when the Mac sleep and i reopen so trackpad not working again. And I have to close the lid and reopen again for the trackpad working. It's very inconvenience. But now i have a solution for my problem, I install a app caffein for my Mac not sleep.

3. This is a requisition for Apple. That is a warranty for apple products. Apple should print serial on all part of Apple product like. Ex print serial on battery, on trackpad, on chipset,.... Why I have this requisition? Because I've ever warranty my Mac (the screen problem) but when the screen was fixed, after the trackpad come problem and I don't know what parts of my Mac had replaced by another? The users can't check and don't know the part of their and the part had replaced. I hope the Apple will note my requisition. It is very very important for user.

Macbook Pro (2015) 13 base model- erratic/laggy trackpad at random times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.