Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager - Push Updates

I have enabled and deployed Profile Manager to several computers in our company. All our users are Open Directory users that can successfully log in from their computers over the network. Each user has Mobility turned on without a network home directory, so that there isn't a long sync time upon logging in. I have two questions about Profile Manager and pushing updates -

1) When I make a change to something like a login item or anything else in Profile Manager to the "everyone" group, those changes are not pushed to all of the computers (in fact, they aren't pushed to any of them). When I set up the devices, I did go to the Profile Manager website and download the configuration profiles manually.

2) If I update the profile and then try to manually install it, it goes through the steps, but because I already HAVE a mobile user on the computer, it won't install the profile, and actually REMOVES all of the parts of the previous profile.

I AM able to "Update Info" on all the managed computers, so I know that the Profile Manager system is working because it does reach out to all the computers once they are available and can update the inventory information listed.

The only solution I have found is to entirely remove the user from the computer, log in as that user again, and then reinstall the profile from scratch. This is obviously not a solution. Please let me know how I can push updates to a profile that I've made. Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 11:18 PM

3 replies

Aug 10, 2015 4:23 PM in response to JSP196

I suspect a bug in Profile Manager. I would test this with a clean install on a new server (or just a different boot drive on your current server) and assign the profile to 2 computers that don't already have it. Then test the push.

Also, do you have a valid push certificate? Make sure all of your certificates (especially SSL if you're using it) are valid and up to date. I'd even go so far as to renew the Apple Push Certificate manually... or remove it and add it back... Maybe even using a different AppleID to create it with.

Aug 11, 2015 1:48 PM in response to maccog

Hey -

Thanks. Given our setup (and the time I have to work with this client) I'm not going to be able to test a clean install of the OS. I'm almost okay with dealing with the workaround of Mobile User (where it won't add the rest of the properties if it's already added mobile user) by just making that one particular item its own profile with its own group.

Though now I can't seem to get Profile Manager to let me register any new devices. Is there a way to reset all the ProfileManager settings and then re-enable them on users using Mobility without having to completely erase their users and recreate them on all of the computers they use? They are allowed to customize pretty much everything, and I would rather not have to keep deleting their accounts.

Profile Manager - Push Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.