Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

numbers 3.5.3 page break problem

User uploaded file

like in the picture, how can I make the 4th row into ONE single page? there's a lot of such problems in the following pages, it's impossible to adjust the margins to meet my needs. it will be better to have such function as insert a manual page break in excel, is there anyone has the same question? how did you solve it? thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 8:39 AM

Hi summerdove,

Numbers 3 has poor print capabilities. Numbers '09 is better and will run in yosemite. Still it won't break a table across 2 pages. You would still need to create a seperate table for your 4th row to get it on its own page.

Ian has had some suggestions inthe past as to how to simplify page layout in 3 so you don't have to do the drag the table down, check in print view, go back and drag some more, etc.

It may be that Numbers is not the best tool for the job.

quinn

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2015 8:39 AM in response to summerdove

Hi summerdove,

Numbers 3 has poor print capabilities. Numbers '09 is better and will run in yosemite. Still it won't break a table across 2 pages. You would still need to create a seperate table for your 4th row to get it on its own page.

Ian has had some suggestions inthe past as to how to simplify page layout in 3 so you don't have to do the drag the table down, check in print view, go back and drag some more, etc.

It may be that Numbers is not the best tool for the job.

quinn

Jul 22, 2015 4:59 AM in response to summerdove

Hi summerdove,

I agree with quinn that Numbers 3 has poor print capabilities. Some ideas that might help:

Start with Menu > Numbers > Preferences > Rulers

User uploaded file

Tick every box.

Then have a play with dragging objects around (tables, shapes, text boxes) on the 'canvas'. I find that to be educational.

Menu > View Show Rulers.

Then you can drag Alignment Guides from the rulers to mark the document Margins. 0,0 at Top Left:

User uploaded file

The blue lines are Alignment Guides showing the top and left margins of the document when printed on paper.

To mark the right and bottom margins is rather more tricky. Please call back if you want help with that.

Your screen shot amazes me. I do not know how you got a Row to split across pages. Or have you merged cells?

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 23, 2015 8:49 PM in response to Yellowbox

Oops, I clicked on Send.

Print Preview shows me that the bottom margin is just below Row 38

User uploaded file

Click on Done to return to the editable document

Command R to see the rulers (a pain, the rulers disappear whenever you go to Print Preview).

Drag Alignment Guides from the rulers

User uploaded file

Delete the temporary table and Save As Template.

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, that marks only the first page bottom margin.

Perhaps you could insert a Rectangle Shape to fit within the Alignment Guides and duplicate that for other pages.

User uploaded file

Fiddly, but I persevere because I enjoy Numbers.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 23, 2015 10:34 PM in response to Yellowbox

Dear Lan,

Thanks again.

Would you like send me a email, so I can send my original documents to you.

I also prefer to use Numbers, now most of my documents are created by Numbers, only the quotes I send to my clients used by Excel, which is because I can't handle the pages problem. I'll be very appreciated if you could help me solve this issue. of course when you have time.

Best regards.

Bob.

<Personal Information Removed by Host>

Jul 25, 2015 8:24 PM in response to Yellowbox

Dear Lan,

As you proposed, here I attach the public link of the file in the dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ml55nt2ecfm48su/AAAMQRJBtLWjW8jMcNd66sNfa?dl=0, wish there will be someone who can help me.

When I use the printing option, "Save as PDF", the problem happen to the merged cells, here the PDF file link, https://www.dropbox.com/s/3og7hv238wiijz1/Stretchers%20%26%20First%20aid%20produ cts.pdf?dl=0,

is that possible that advise next version Numbers add the function of manual page-break? it will solve my problem once for all.

Best regards.

Bob.

Jul 25, 2015 9:47 PM in response to summerdove

Hi Bob,

I tried this and it did not solve the problem:

I did Menu > Table > Unmerge All Cells.

I split the 4 columns into 4 tables. (Image, Description, Image, Description).

I deleted the extra cells in the Image tables.

I stretched the cells with images to meet the bottom of each Description block of cells.

It looks OK in normal view, but something odd happens in Print View. Perhaps I did not quite match the four tables, and they 'creep' page by page.

Next, I increased the bottom margin in Print View a little at a time until the Description Tables lined up with the bottom of the Image tables. This worked on Page 1 only.

Page 1 has the letter, so it is different from the other pages. That makes it difficult to find a solution for all pages. Could you put the letter on another sheet?

Let's hope other users can come up with more ideas.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 26, 2015 5:19 AM in response to summerdove

Hi Bob,

This works for A4 paper, Portrait.

Leave your Images and Descriptions table as it is.

Drag to select all parts of the letter on Page 1.

Menu > Edit >Cut.

Insert a new sheet and delete the default table. Paste. That is now your letter and it will print on its own page.

Move the new sheet to first position in the Sheets Bar (drag the Sheet Tab to the left). It will then print first.

Go to the original sheet (Stretcher Quote).

Turn on Alignment Guides in Menu > Numbers > Preferences > Rulers.

Drag the table up to the top and left margins of that sheet (the Alignment Guides will appear when the table fits the margins).

Menu > File >Print...

In the Print Setup panel on the right, choose Print : All Sheets.

Drag the Print Setup panel up to see Page Margins.

Set the Bottom Margin to 4.9 cm (it applies only to that Sheet, not the letter).

Click on the Print... button.

Scroll through the pages to check.

Click on the PDF button and choose Open PDF in Preview (check again before you waste 19 pieces of A4 paper 😉).

Regards,

Ian.

P.S. In Print Setup, leave Content Scale at 55% for the Stretcher Quote sheet.

numbers 3.5.3 page break problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.