Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't fully boot and gets stuck in a loop

I have a 2008 24" iMac (4GB RAM and 3mhz). It had Yosemite installed on it soon after it came out and worked fine. However a week or so ago it froze and wouldn't do anything, so I turned it off by pressing and holding the power button. I left it over night and unplugged it. Upon trying to re-start it i get the initial chime and a white screen, with a grey progress bar with the apple logo above it. About a quarter way through the progress bar I get a message saying

Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up.

Once I do that, it appear to shut down, screen goes black and the same process repeats. This will continue until i get bored and press and hold the power button down again.

Ive done an extended hardware test, which shows no issues.

What's happening and what can i do?

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 5:38 AM

3 replies

Jul 22, 2015 4:04 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply.

Doesnt make any difference though, and I am unsure what you mean 'follow all the steps', there are no steps to do in that article, except entering a password when asked. As mentioned in the original post i turn it on and then get a 1/4 way through the progress bar and the computer resets, without me being given an option to do anything. Its then stuck in a loop of turning on, getting an error message and so on.

iMac won't fully boot and gets stuck in a loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.