Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the mail program become corrupted?

I'm having continual problems with my email program that comes with my OS X 10.8.5. I have been told that my provider (Cox) doesn't not play well with Mac (whatever that means). I am wondering if there is a download to overwrite the mail program that will refresh it without losing stored mail, files, etc.

iMac OS X, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 8:51 AM

2 replies

Jul 21, 2015 9:15 AM in response to ranman56

In Mail - Preferences manually re-input in setting even though it appears correct. Then restart in Safe Mode (hold down Shift key on startup) this will clear some caches, on occasion caches can be corrupt too. Check to see if Mail begins working okay. If it does not then go to the next paragraph and perform those steps.

Rebuild each mail boxes and then re-index.

• To rebuild open Mail - Mailbox menu and select Rebuild for each mailbox.
  • Then re-index by first Closing Mail and then opening a Finder window - Go menu - Go to Folder and copy ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData in the box. Delete any file that has Envelope Index in it, however it is wise to first move those files to the Desktop before deleting them.
  • Then restart Mail and test.

Cox support is basically saying they don't know what they are doing which unfortunately is not terribly uncommon with ISPs.

Jul 21, 2015 10:15 AM in response to ranman56

Just want to add to rkaufmann87's answer a little.

Almost all Internet Service Providers tell you they don't have support for Mac Computers. This not entirely true, a few years back this was true. However, as the years have progressed so have the ISP's when they realized there are more and more Apple users they had to deal with and so they have since done a much better job over recent years. They still have a little ways to go but they have come a long way. Here is a special note. All Internet Service Providers use the exact same technology for Internet Service so in one respect it tells you some don't have a clue what they are doing when it comes to dealing with Apple Products.

Configuring Mail for your email account

Hopefully this has helped explain things to you.

Don Morgan

Can the mail program become corrupted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.