Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not showing in Media Browser in iBooks Author

Just been on a brilliant training course on creating content for iBooks Author, where we used preloaded content to make the course run smoothly and essentially have us all getting the same message/material. Having left the course I'm gone into my Macbook Pro, to test a new project and realise I can't see Photos in iBook Author Media Browser, only Photo Booth. Very frustrating!

I'm using OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite and have the latest version of iBooks Author.

Advice greatly welcomed.

Thanks

JF

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2015 2:35 AM

I went through Apple Support to find a solution to this problem and they have said that it is a known issue and that it may be fixed in a future update. There is nothing you can do as a user to fix Photos for Mac / iBooks Author interaction. It's a known "bug"!

To continue working I opened up the old iPhoto on my Mac, then closed it and started iBooks Author again. Doing this made iBooks Author use iPhoto as its reference for photos in the media pane so that you can work as you always did. Of course it limits you to want you have imported into iPhoto.

This isn't a long term fix but might help until Apple sorts out the problem with Photos.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2015 2:35 AM in response to John Ferry1

I went through Apple Support to find a solution to this problem and they have said that it is a known issue and that it may be fixed in a future update. There is nothing you can do as a user to fix Photos for Mac / iBooks Author interaction. It's a known "bug"!

To continue working I opened up the old iPhoto on my Mac, then closed it and started iBooks Author again. Doing this made iBooks Author use iPhoto as its reference for photos in the media pane so that you can work as you always did. Of course it limits you to want you have imported into iPhoto.

This isn't a long term fix but might help until Apple sorts out the problem with Photos.

Feb 3, 2016 7:30 PM in response to BAMcopywriting

i ran into a problem some 15 months ago in nov 2014 that i could no longer drop and drag keynote presentations into the keynote widget, soon after the latest release of keynote came out at that time if i remember correctly. i abandoned that upgrade when apple support told me to redo my entire book from scratch.

in july 2015, not wanting to get even further behind the software curve and as yet more new releases of software was coming out, i had to bite the bullet and upgrade everything. ran across this same problem and many more. july was lost in terms of productivity. the good news is just by chance i stumped upon a workaround by accident. i told apple the workaround and i would have hoped that it was fixed in subsequent releases. having finished my book and sent it off to the store, i'm going to upgrade yet again as soon as apple provides me with a fix to a strange problem that they are diligently working on and making progress with. it is a very interesting problem that i will discuss to the community soon. but back to you.

i got around the issue of drag and drop not working syndrome by having the file opened in keynote when i dragged the keynote to the keynote widget. i would try the following if i were you. open the movie in iMovie. then drag and drop the file to the multimedia widget. in fact, if i remember, you can bypass the widget by just drag and drop in the ibook author page. realize that most all my work is done inside keynote, so i can't say for sure if ib author works the same, but for sure i have drag and dropped audios onto an iba page, just not with the latest release of ib author. i use ib author in an unusual way. worth try.

if that does not work, then i would suggest you call the apple support line for ib author.

Feb 4, 2016 4:29 AM in response to richard the old

Thank you Richard, this was actually very helpful. In my situation, I am brand new to the Mac world so have no prior experience--to be honest my whole reason for buying a MacBook was so I could use iBooks Author and sell books in the iBooks store instead of just through KDP. I also liked the ability to add multimedia (widgets) for a more interactive experience, which I intend to use in my next book... but the frustration has basically been things not working the way the user guide says they should!

As for iMovie, I apparently had to save a copy of the movie from the Theater to the Movies folder (hidden in utilities?) and this program is just going to be another of many learning curves for me-- though I initially hoped I'd just be able to add videos (from my iCloud/iPhone) to the test book but that won't work because they have to be a certain file type.

I will eventually call for assistance-- assuming these bugs are't fixed by then-- but there are more learning curves I should get through first so I don't sound like a total noob lol. Even with all these issues and learning curves, I can still say that I finally see what all the fuss is about and may already have converted to the Mac side lol!

Feb 4, 2016 9:55 AM in response to BAMcopywriting

your bio shows you been lurking around since aug 2013.

i can understand that you want to jump in and work on your next book, but i will give you some other advice. take some time out and learn the basics. it is very hard to start off with ib author, iMovie etc and you will get frustrated. you need to learn the basics first. try to hook up with someone who has been on the mac for awhile to show you the basics. it will jump start your ability more than anything else. slower, but still good, purchase a good book on the basics, or take advantage of the apple training program. they used to have one for $99 when you purchased new equipment but i don't see it offered anymore. still, they usually have classes. one on one with an experienced mac user would of course be best. then you wouldn't think that they are hiding the iMovie folder.

someone with ibauthor experience could also move the needle forward for you in a quick way. it is not too hard but takes more work than it used to. there are also some training sessions on a site called lynda.com

you have to learn to crawl before you walk. the early days of "if you can point and click" you already know how to use the mac is no longer true.

Feb 4, 2016 9:59 AM in response to richard the old

Oh, I've probably ben a member of this forum since I got my iPhone and iPad in 2013 lol... this is my first Mac computer and you are certainly right about how I need to learn {these things} before I can master {that thing}. I did already reformat one of my books in iBooks author but feel like it should have "more" before publishing, so right now I'm honestly focusing on just a sample book to share with friends and family, utilizing and testing each of the features and getting comfortable enough to know what I will never need to worry about. I'm actually excellent at self learning but would like to take a class to learn the things I wouldn't think of learning... will see if the local Apple store has anything like that available.

Photos not showing in Media Browser in iBooks Author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.