Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading OS in an Imac

What is the most current OS I can upgrade my Imac to? Any suggestions, advice is welcomed

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 3.06 GHz Intel core i3. 4 GB RAM

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 10:24 AM

At least Yosemite. Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and download it from the Mac App Store.

(130557)

16 replies

Jul 21, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Brad Stoller

Piggybacking this question, I have a 2007 iMac, my OS is OS X, version 10.6.8, with 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and memory of 2GB 667 DDRZ SDRAM. My printer broke and when I bought a new one, I could not get it to work with my computer. Staples personnel said my computer OS was too old, that there were no current model printers which would 'talk' to it, and that I needed to upgrade my OS, or get a new computer. (I have also received advice to get an inexpensive laptop, and when I want to print something, send it to my laptop which would be connected to printer.

I have continuously running backup, a 500 GB external harddrive.

I do not want to spend for a new iMac. Can I safely upgrade my OS, and to what extent, and will that do the trick? As you can tell, I am not a techie.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Jul 21, 2015 2:24 PM in response to edwardfromyarmouth

There's a problem with your specs. If it has a 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, it cannot be a 2007 iMac. It has a to be a late 2006 iMac.

Its a problem, because a 2007 iMac can update all the way to Yosemite, but a 2006 iMac cannot.

Is it white or silver?

The first thing to do is to precisely identify the iMac model you have.

How to identify iMac models - Apple Support

Without knowing the exact model of Printer its also hard to know what it will support. Its likely this printer needs a fairly new OS. If your iMac is 2006, then it will top off at Lion. 10.7.x . Whether the printer can run off of Lion is unknown.

iMac (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

iMac (Mid 2007) - Technical Specifications

Jul 21, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Brad Stoller

You might want to see if your iMac can handle more RAM, as 4 GB is generally considered to be the bare minimum to run anything Lion or later satisfactorily.

@ edward: you only have 2 GB and if either of these is yours:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-20-inch-sp ecs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.16-24-inch-sp ecs.html

you can only go to Lion, but you can have a total of 4 GB RAM.

PS 2 Phil:

your post did not show until after I posted mine......

Jul 21, 2015 4:50 PM in response to babowa

Babowa, mine is the smaller of the two, and it is white. so I guess I have a 2006. I purchased it in the late spring of 2007, never thought of it as being other than current production, but the question never arose.

All things considered, am I better off budgeting for a new computer? This has worked fine, although it seems a bit slower of late, (but that could be my Time Warner account). What about the idea of a workaround with a new laptop? Another person suggested a Chromebook as an auxiliary or substitute.

Jul 21, 2015 4:55 PM in response to edwardfromyarmouth

Yours is getting to be about 9 years old (when you bought it, you bought the current model) and Snow Leopard is an excellent OS. It will run happily with 2 GB; I probably would not spend more money on a machine this age, but start saving for a new one. You can look into Apple's online store refurb section - that is where I've gotten most of my iMacs, Macbook Pros, and even my current iPad Air - good savings and you get the same warranty as with a new model.

I cannot comment on any computer that is not a Mac as I have no clue - I've never owned anything but Macs.

Jul 21, 2015 5:23 PM in response to babowa

maybe what I should do is shop for a used but functional ink jet printer that will work with this older OS. The one which broke down is an HP Photosmart 6510 all in one. They seem to be available used on Amazon, but the reviews are kind of scary, and mine has not been trouble free, even before the paper feed mechanism failed.

Mostly document printing, but occasional color photos, on bright copy paper, not photo paper. Any recommendations?

thanks for all the info to date, very helpful.

Upgrading OS in an Imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.