Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Cinema Display [molded plastic]

I have owned [since 2001] a molded plastic 23 inch Apple Cinema Display that I bought new for use with my G5 Dual Processor. I believe they were first used for the G4 desktops and predated the aluminum displays. My G5 finally died [ceased sending a signal to the display]. I assume the display still works and I would like to 're-purpose' it. My problem is one of connectivity. The display uses very ancient 30 + 1 pin [male] that ran directly into the computer [using a 'pinch button' connector].

Is there a way to convert the connection to HDMI so that I can connect i to a Blue Ray [streaming + DVD] machine? I understand this will be just video but I can add sound via optical cable out from the DVD player.

Thanks in advance for your help~

Billy Stewart

Mac OS X (10.5.8), 7.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 10:52 AM

1 reply

Jul 21, 2015 10:12 PM in response to DragonBlue

Your display uses ADC (Apple Display Connector). The is a DVI to ADC adapter

<http://www.amazon.com/Apple-DVI-ADC-Display-Adapter/dp/B00011KHT2>

that can be used with a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable to connect your display to some HDMI sources, such as a computer with HDMI, but it won't work with a Blu-Ray player. One problem is resolution. The display is 1920 x 1200, but the player is expecting 1920 x 1080. Some players may not work with this.

The other problem is HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). Most commercial discs enable HDCP, which requires a HDCP compatible display.

<Edited by Host>

Apple Cinema Display [molded plastic]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.