Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sleep Wake Failure, nearly 100%

I have a mid-2012 13" macbook air

8GB Ram, i7 quad core 250GB SSD

I have boot camp/vware with a Windows 7 VM running.

my computer was doing just fine until the last update a week ago and now it crashes constantly,

"your computer was restarted because of a problem..."

the sleep wake Failure report is 74 pages long, so I decided not to post it here, but let me know what information is helpful to solve my problem. I'm no engineer and no guru - I already did the simple things like disk permissions and such, but now I am getting fed up of losing hours of work because this thing is iffy on having the top closed or when it goes into sleep mode.

It also takes an enormous time to save files or scroll through finder/all files when looking for things. It's actually pretty disruptive to work. - Any help is appreciated.

josh

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 12:13 PM

5 replies

Jul 23, 2015 10:38 AM in response to jroza1

Hi jroza1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like you are getting a kernel panic. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem." - Apple Support

Hardware troubleshooting

Disconnect the external drive used in the above test to determine if the kernel panic is due to a hardware issue.

Check peripheral devices first

Go to the next section if you have no devices attached to your Mac.

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Disconnect all peripheral devices. If you have a desktop Mac, make sure all you have connected is a display and Apple keyboard with Apple mouse or trackpad.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Use your Mac for the amount of time it would usually take for a kernel panic to occur.
  5. If a kernel panic does occur: Proceed the next section to check the internal RAM and third-party hardware.
    If a kernel panic does not occur: Power down the Mac and connect one peripheral device at a time and test until a kernel panic occurs.

Note: A combination of peripherals may be the cause of a kernel panic. Disconnect one peripheral at a time to see if it causes a kernel panic by itself. If the kernel panic does not occur, continue to add peripherals until you find the other peripheral needed to cause the kernel panic.

Check internal RAM and third-party hardware

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Reseat the Apple RAM, and remove third-party RAM and third-party internal hardware. If you do not have the Apple RAM that came with the system, reseat the third-party RAM.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Use your Mac for the amount of time it would usually take for a kernel panic to occur.
  5. If the kernel panic does not occur: The third-party RAM or internal third-party hardware may need to be replaced.
    If a kernel panic does occur: Bring your Mac to an Apple Store, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for service and support. Be sure to ask that, if the drive needs reformatting or replacing, they contact you about escalating your case to a special data recovery service. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, you can make a reservation (available in some countries only).

Software troubleshooting

Disconnect the external drive used in the above test to determine the kernel panic is due to a software based issue.

1. Start the Mac from OS X Recovery and reinstall OS X on your Mac.
  2. Start from the installation of OS X you just created.
  3. Use Software Update to install all updates until it reports "Your software is up to date."
  4. Download and install any third-party software updates before reinstalling third-party software, especially drivers and kernel extensions.
    Examples include:
    • Virtualization software
    • Drivers for add-on third party display cards
    • Anti-virus software
    • Networking software (especially software which enables third party network devices)
    • Add-on file system support software; for example, software that lets your write to NTFS formatted media.

If the issue continues, you will need to erase and install OS X as follows:

1. Start the Mac from OS X Recovery.
  2. Complete a disk image backup via Disk Utility of the internal drive to an external drive with enough free space.
  3. Erase the internal drive using Disk Utility.
  4. Install OS X.
  5. Start from the internal drive.
  6. Use Software Update to install all updates until it reports "Your software is up to date."
  7. Re-install your third-party apps and copy your user data from the disk image backup you created in step 2.
    Note: Avoid copying data from the /Library and /System folders on your backup disk image.

Take care

Jul 23, 2015 11:28 AM in response to mario49

Thanks. I did the refresh on Yosemite a few weeks back before their most recent update, which seems to have created this issue. I have no connected devices to my system - the only thing on here is VMware and Win7 besides the standard Appleware. I will see if I can level the system once again...

I'm pretty disappointed with OSx at this point - its sad when Win 7 is 10 times more stable...

Josh

Sleep Wake Failure, nearly 100%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.