Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to sync a movie to ipod classic

How do I sync a movie to my classic ipod 160 gb that I purchased from itunes? I have changed preference from hd to sd.

iPod classic

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 1:49 PM

3 replies

Jul 23, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Jamalme

Hello Jamalme,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you want to sync a movie to your iPod classic. You don't mention which generation iPod you have, this is important because only 5th generation iPod classics can play video. Once you have verified which generation you have and if it can play video, the following article will provide you with additional information and suggestions for syncing.

iTunes: Frequently asked questions about viewing and syncing videos - Apple Support

Regards

Jul 23, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Jamalme

Given the 160Gb size it is clearly 6th gen. or later (6, 6.5, 7, late 2012 or other possible variations). It should play video, but there are limitations and there some hints in other threads that iTunes may occasionally decide a video which has worked in the past is now considered too complex for the iPod to handle.

These should be the permitted specs:

H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

tt2

Aug 23, 2015 1:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Found this on another site on which the same problem was reported. In my case, it turned out that my .mp4 files had a higher resolution than the iPod could support. It may be that you (and I) will need to convert our mp4 files to conform to the iPod's abilities, using video editing software in those cases in which the iTunes menu 'File-->Create New Version-->Create iPod or iPhone Version' doesn't do the job.

"The iPod can play MPEG-4 video to the following specifications (I quote):

'up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats'

Files which fall outside these specs evidently won't work."

unable to sync a movie to ipod classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.