Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whenever I open Safari or Chrome I get this warning message: "There is a .net frame work file missing due to some harmful virus Debug malware error 895-system 32.exe failure." Anyone know what I should do?

Whenever I open Safari or Chrome I get this warning message: "There is a .net frame work file missing due to some harmful virus Debug malware error 895-system 32.exe failure." Anyone know what I should do?

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2015 2:46 PM

Ignore it. It''s a phishing scam. See the following for how to stop it:

1. Force Quit the browser.
  2. Hold down the SHIFT key and re-open the browser.
  3. You should now be able to close the dialog.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Problems

If you are having an immediate problem with ads popping up see The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide, remove adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac, and AdwareMedic. If you require anti-virus protection Thomas Reed recommends using ClamXAV. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for this recommendation.) You might consider adding this Safari extensions: Adblock Plus 1.8.9.

Open Safari, select Preferences from the Safari menu. Click on Extensions icon in the toolbar. Disable all Extensions. If this stops your problem, then re-enable them one by one until the problem returns. Now remove that extension as it is causing the problem.

The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari.

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phony message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + esc, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening.

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious webpage, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2015 2:46 PM in response to techcursed

Ignore it. It''s a phishing scam. See the following for how to stop it:

1. Force Quit the browser.
  2. Hold down the SHIFT key and re-open the browser.
  3. You should now be able to close the dialog.

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Problems

If you are having an immediate problem with ads popping up see The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide, remove adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac, and AdwareMedic. If you require anti-virus protection Thomas Reed recommends using ClamXAV. (Thank you to Thomas Reed for this recommendation.) You might consider adding this Safari extensions: Adblock Plus 1.8.9.

Open Safari, select Preferences from the Safari menu. Click on Extensions icon in the toolbar. Disable all Extensions. If this stops your problem, then re-enable them one by one until the problem returns. Now remove that extension as it is causing the problem.

The following comes from user stevejobsfan0123. I have made minor changes to adapt to this presentation.

Fix Some Browser Pop-ups That Take Over Safari.

Common pop-ups include a message saying the government has seized your computer and you must pay to have it released (often called "Moneypak"), or a phony message saying that your computer has been infected, and you need to call a tech support number (sometimes claiming to be Apple) to get it resolved. First, understand that these pop-ups are not caused by a virus and your computer has not been affected. This "hijack" is limited to your web browser. Also understand that these messages are scams, so do not pay any money, call the listed number, or provide any personal information. This article will outline the solution to dismiss the pop-up.

Quit Safari

Usually, these pop-ups will not go away by either clicking "OK" or "Cancel." Furthermore, several menus in the menu bar may become disabled and show in gray, including the option to quit Safari. You will likely have to force quit Safari. To do this, press Command + option + esc, select Safari, and press Force Quit.

Relaunch Safari

If you relaunch Safari, the page will reopen. To prevent this from happening, hold down the 'Shift' key while opening Safari. This will prevent windows from the last time Safari was running from reopening.

This will not work in all cases. The shift key must be held at the right time, and in some cases, even if done correctly, the window reappears. In these circumstances, after force quitting Safari, turn off Wi-Fi or disconnect Ethernet, depending on how you connect to the Internet. Then relaunch Safari normally. It will try to reload the malicious webpage, but without a connection, it won't be able to. Navigate away from that page by entering a different URL, i.e. www.apple.com, and trying to load it. Now you can reconnect to the Internet, and the page you entered will appear rather than the malicious one.

Jul 21, 2015 3:10 PM in response to techcursed

First, all so-called "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software is harmful in one way or another, is not needed, and should not be used.

Your problem is most likely not caused by malware. It's a Web scam that only affects your browser, and only temporarily. There are several ways to recover.

1. If you're running Safari 8.0.7 or later and you see a dialog with the message “Don’t show more alerts from this webpage,” check the box and click OK.

2. If no other tabs or windows are open, or if you don't mind losing those tabs or windows, force quit Safari. Relaunch it by holding down the shift key and clicking its icon in the Dock.

The following steps may enable you to keep the state of other open tabs and windows.

3. Press the key combination command-W to close the tab or window. A huge box will pop up. Press the return key and both the box and the page will close. If that doesn't happen, continue.

4. Press and hold command-W. You may hear repeating alert sounds. While holding the keys, click the OK button in the popup. A different popup may appear, which you can cancel out of as usual.

5. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... ▹ Security

and uncheck the box marked Enable JavaScript. If the Preferences menu item is grayed out, go to Step 2.

After closing the malicious page, select from the menu bar

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

to get rid of any cookies or other data left by the server. Open your Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Mar 26, 2016 8:20 PM in response to techcursed

Okay, there are a few things you can do, update your mac or anti-virus software. I've seen this error message many times, on Mac and Windows. Usually, it will tell you to contact a technician. DO NOT DO THIS! The .net is meant to effect Microsoft based systems (not Mac) as windows is what I'm using right now. Scan for viruses, these pop-ups are called scare-ware, and a meant to SCARE THE HECK out of you! Different forms of this pop up lead to sites to download software that contains viruses. The software is a Trojan, appealing to the host as a helpful/cool software. (e.g. the Trojan horse) Too names one, MacKeeper, SaveMyMac, iSecurity. A PC example, Advanced PC Care, is a Trojan. Some of these pop-ups are telling the truth. they usually occur in adf.ly, which is known for how many infectious ads are swimming around. If there is a virus that you NEED to stay away from, from my knowledge only infects PC's, CryptoLocker. DUN DUN DUN! Hopefully this helped, apple does remove viruses through it's new updates. Also, don't jailbreak. It's against the iOS terms and conditions.

May 3, 2016 11:44 AM in response to Linc Davis

Please help. Need to remove this idf.ly malaware on my macbook. I reset wifi router, change wifi name & password but popping ads are still there. I use firefox & safari as browers. Contact apple's cs but says to update into El Capitan which I read has not so good reviews from users. Also it will take me a day to update to El Capitan with the very slow connectivity we have. Need badly to research and pass papers tomorrow. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.